Guesses on gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nightsong, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Nightsong

Nightsong New Egg

Feb 11, 2013
    So I haven’t posted much because I’m new to chickens so I’ve just been reading but hello! Anyways, these are my babies. They are 3 weeks old today. Any guesses on gender? Basically is anyone screaming Roo already I guess. They were all straight run bantams.

Cochin 1 “Wren”
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cochin 2 (any guesses on color too? I had order a golden laced but I also only ordered 3 and got 4)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cochin 3 (color?)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cochin 4 “Warbler”, my “one of these chicks is not like the others” chick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Easter Egger, “Sparrow”, the escape artist
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brahma, “Chickadee”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sebright, “Dove”
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the guesses

2. Ducclelover10

Ducclelover10 Overrun With Chickens

Cochin 3 could be a boy, Cochin 4 I'm pretty sure is a boy, the Easter Egger looks like a girl, and I'm not sure about the rest.

3. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    I think Warbler is a boy, just because his comb is bigger than the others

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Warbler looks like a black mottled cochin cockerel

the others you are asking about color on are the golden laced

5. Nightsong

Nightsong New Egg

Feb 11, 2013
    thanks so far. Yeah, I've been thinking the mottled cochin was a cockerel since he was a week old. He's actually pretty mellow but has just matured so much differently from day 1. And I was thinking cochin 2 and 3 were golden laced but wasn't sure if they both were since I had only ordered one. They shorted me a RIR that I'd ordered to sell...so now I guess I just get to wait and see if they're both hens and if so, pick the prettier/gentler/whatever one to keep and sell the other...probably.

6. chickenfinch

chickenfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    Minnesota
    I would guess 1, 3, and 4 might be cocks. I had an old English game bantam rooster that had to be rehomed because we live in the city. :(

7. Nightsong

Nightsong New Egg

Feb 11, 2013
    Um, well hope not. If so then I'll just be keeping 2 and 4. I'm not in the city so I can keep roosters. I just want to limit how many I end up with. The mottled is staying either way but the others may have to go.

8. BorderBrigade

BorderBrigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    Perry County, PA
    From the wing feathers if they are anything like my large fowl cochins that i've bred and hatched it looks like Warbler is the only roo. See how his wing feathers and tail is much shorter than the others. All of my hens have always had longer flight feathers and tails way before the roos. The others comb's are very normal for hens of that age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by