Guesses on what sexes my 5 weeks old frizzles are?

Fishychick

Songster
May 8, 2018
Maryland, USA
I have attached photos of my babies who are 5 weeks old today. I am so confused as to who is a girl and who is a boy! What do you think? Here are my descriptions:

1. Perky - naked neck, hatched first from cream egg, super hyper and outgoing for the first two weeks, felt sure he was a boy if ever there was one, current comb is very small as are waddles and spurs, now acts like a wussy.

2. Daffy - gray frizzle, hatched second from light brown egg, always been sweet as pie, only chick who doesn't act like being held by me means certain death, I have a strong feeling she's a girl but now her comb is a little red; she is dominant, leads the flock.

3. Billie - black frizzle, assist hatched from dark brown egg, acted like a rooster until about a week ago, and now seems calmer, seems to have some waddles, has the biggest comb of all of them but body shape now seems female.

4. Angel - only non-frizzle, assist hatched from green egg, almost died at hatch but I saved him, looks now the most like a rooster to me based on body build, long strong legs but has no obvious waddles; Angel will jump kick the others so if that's not a rooster, I don't know what is.

Anyway, ideally I would get 3 girls and 1 boy because I do want a rooster. I'm having the pen renovated soon with a separate run so I could keep a second rooster separate but I don't know who I'd deal with three roosters! I love them so they're all staying.

These are all photos from today. Also, Perky, the naked neck has a few lumps on his neck. I'm guessing they're like in grown feathers? He (or is it she?) freaks when I try to hold or examine him.

Thanks chickie friends!

Attachments

• five.jpg
    five.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 16
  • four.jpg
    four.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 16
  • one.jpg
    one.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 15
  • three.jpg
    three.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 15
  • two.jpg
    two.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 15
So, it's 3 weeks later. I am 95% sure that Perky, Daffy, and Billie are girls, and Angel is a boy. I wanted one rooster so that's perfect! Angel is a Easter egg chicken so he has basically no wattles and a very small comb which isn't even red for that matter. Years ago, I had a rooster, Sugar, who was an Easter egg chicken (that was sexed at the hatchery as female; great job guys!) with very little in the way of comb and wattles. Boy, he was a nasty one. I've told Angel to live up to his name. After all, I saved his life twice on his first day when I had to open up his egg after more than a day trying to get out and later bathe him because he couldn't move due to yolk gluing his feathers down.

So, why do I think he's male? Even though he's the only one who's not a frizzle, he is now considerably larger than the other three, taller, longer legs. Nobody has spurs yet either aside from a dot. He's also getting the longer feathers down his neck. And, he likes to jump on the others and chase them around. In 4 months, I will have proof of sex when eggs and crowing start. I'll try to remember to post back if I was wrong!

This morning, I went in the chicken house, and I only counted three chickens! What? I looked all around and then finally up, on the beam 7 feet in the air! There was Perky! So much for those that say frizzles can't fly! Perky was first to hatch, first to eat, first to drink, and first to go up to the top! Now, she didn't fly straight up; there are various boards below that that she used to get up. But, she was too afraid to come down so she actually let me carry her down. She usually won't let me touch her. It's still hard for me to call Perky a girl since I was so sure she was a boy!

Back
Top Bottom