Guesses to who lives in this den?

startingover

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Northern Kentucky
While doing my fence check last evening, I found a new den. I really don't think this den is more than a week old or so but I can't swear by it. I really think it would have seen it on my last check but it's possible I missed it. But regardless - it's still obviously under construction as the dirt that has been flung out is dry and it rained 2 days ago and everything is still wet around here with all the rain and snow we've had this winter. If you push aside the dry dirt, you find the wet dirt.

Our farm is 90 acres - the den is directly on the creek but facing away from the creek. It is in the flood plane and as wet as the ground is I have no doubt that if we get any more decent rains this will be underwater briefly when the creek rises (for about 12 hours usually towards the end of heavy rains when flooding is likely). But basically these bottom lands are surrounded by nothing by several hundred acres of woods, pasture, and creeks. So very isolated.

Anyway - I DO know that we have otters that live in this creek. I've only always seen where they go underwater into their den - do they have a secondary escape on land???

I am going to put the game camera up on this - but I thought it would be fun to guess too. lol

Close up of den

Stepping back so you can see how close to the creek.

While doing my fence check last evening, I found a new den. I really don't think this den is more than a week old or so but I can't swear by it. I really think it would have seen it on my last check but it's possible I missed it. But regardless - it's still obviously under construction as the dirt that has been flung out is dry and it rained 2 days ago and everything is still wet around here with all the rain and snow we've had this winter. If you push aside the dry dirt, you find the wet dirt.

Our farm is 90 acres - the den is directly on the creek but facing away from the creek. It is in the flood plane and as wet as the ground is I have no doubt that if we get any more decent rains this will be underwater briefly when the creek rises (for about 12 hours usually towards the end of heavy rains when flooding is likely). But basically these bottom lands are surrounded by nothing by several hundred acres of woods, pasture, and creeks. So very isolated.

Anyway - I DO know that we have otters that live in this creek. I've only always seen where they go underwater into their den - do they have a secondary escape on land???

I am going to put the game camera up on this - but I thought it would be fun to guess too. lol

Close up of den

Stepping back so you can see how close to the creek.

My guess is groundhog.

That is an odd place to put a den
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom