1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guesses?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PDXcluck, Apr 20, 2012.

1. PDXcluck

PDXcluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    I took the little ladies (hopefully) out of the brooder for some garage floor adventure time...would appreciate any opinions or guesses on the sex of these chicks, they are from a hatchery (not sure which), and sexed as pullets. Please offer breed corrections if necessary.

This is Aabbee, a salmon faverolle. She is 5 weeks old and is a runt size wise, but is feathering out quickly. You may have seen another thread I started regarding Aabbee getting picked on, or at least, missing a few flight feathers. I checked her over well tonight though and she seems alright. There is one more picture of her with her head in the feeder down below...

[​IMG]

This is Boss, a 6 week old "Rhode Island Red". I was assured by the store that they get production reds and RIRs from the hatchery and sell them as such. Though I suspect this breed would be officially referred to as a 'production red'? Regardless, she is definitely the boss, has been since day 1, but is really a kind chick and the first to jump into our hands now. She wouldn't hold still for a picture, so it's tough to see, but her comb is starting to show itself a little bit, but is a yellow or maybe pale orange color.

[​IMG]

This is Mazy, our dark brahma, she is 5 weeks old. She was sort of struggling her first couple hours here, panting and not drinking or eating. So I held her for about 20 minutes and she perked up and has been awesome ever since. She is by far the most relaxed bird we have and the one I feel most sure about calling a pullet.

[​IMG]

This is our light sussex Henny. Have you ever heard the old recording about Hetty the Hen? About how she lays blue and green eggs and the other animals don't want anything to do with her because she's 'different', but the farmers kids think it's really cool, especially cause it's easter, and then all the animals like her. Well, my 2.5 yr old really likes that, but she thinks it's Henny the Hen, not Hetty. We told her they said 'Hetty', but she insists we call her Henny! :)

Anyways, we picked Henny up three weeks after we got the original three. We aren't sure of her exact age, but I am 99% sure she is either 4 or 5 weeks old. She (hopefully) has really big feet and is big bodied, is feathering well (to my inexperienced eyes) and doesn't seem to have much color in the comb. She is finally starting to warm up to us a bit :)

[​IMG]

Look at those monster feet :)

[​IMG]

Henny and Aabbee in the brooder...

[​IMG]

In case any hawk eye's out there notice the junk in the water, yes I cleaned it tonight :) I actually hung the feeder, raised the waterer and replaced that plastic jar with a pint size glass mason jar. I think it will work out much better. They were billing out tons of food, going through about 3/4 of a quart a day, so I raised it up to try to cut back on wasted feed...hope it works and thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Cute chicks. They all look like pullets to me.

3. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    could you get a better picture of aabbee from a side view? In that bottom photo it looks like she may have black coming in on her wings and a better picture may help. From what I can tell they are all girls but if Aabbee does have black coming in then she would be a roo.

4. PDXcluck

Mar 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Here are the other pictures of her from last night that I did not post...forgive the mangy down over her right eye, she ALWAYS gets water there when she drinks and it gets a bit matted :) she doesn't seem to mind though.

About the black on the wings you mentioned, would that be black spots, or solid black feathers coming in on the wings? She definitely has some dark mottling (brown and black) on her flight feathers, but the color of the feathers themselves range from red/brown to light yellow.

Thanks very much for the replies!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. PDXcluck

Mar 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    So, I am surprised I missed this, and even more surprised no one here caught it...but Henny is most certainly not a Light Sussex, but a Light Brahma! You can see the feathered feet in one of the pictures above. I also took a closer look at her comb yesterday and it is indeed a pea comb.

Better fix my sig line...

6. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Aabee is a little roo, the others look like pullets, Aabee is feathering out just like my Sammy did he's 10 weeks old now.

7. PDXcluck

Mar 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    That would be the biggest surprise of all! She/he is about half the size of the other two her age but is about equally feathered. She/he also gets shoved around a lot, is extraordinarily passive and is quite fragile. We had to put her/him into a separate box due to eye pecking, we thought it was infected but it got better within a day. It happened after our red lamp burned out and we had to put a white light on for heat for a day and Aaabbee/Andy was losing getting feathers around the head so you could see the red skin around the eyes and neck. I think that is the reason for the problems...but nonetheless, I think it would be very interesting if the weakest chick ended up a rooster. Sadly we would have to get rid of him since there are no roos allowed in the city.

Thanks for your (educated!) guess...I will definitely keep the thread up to date so anyone interested can see what the final result will be :)

8. PDXcluck

Mar 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    I have a picture of her? his? wing and there is at least one particularly black feather out on the end...what do you think?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by