Guessing breed for fun

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shezadandy, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Hi All!

We got a dozen fertile eggs from a local source-
    8 made it to hatch day and 5 hatched courtesy of our first-time broody Betty. 2 are gray and easy to identify- 3 are yellow with question marks. This hatch was more about seeing how she would do than the chicks themselves- and she's been marvelous! The fun part is figuring out what we've got.

[​IMG]

The chicks "in question" are pictured below. The two with markings have puffy little cheeks. Only one of these guys hatched out of a blue/green egg because 1 of the 4 cracked, 1 was unhatched in the nest box and the other disappeared at some point way before hatch, maybe a dud that was eaten. The only white layer in the group is the White Faced Black Spanish- one white egg hatched, one was still in the nest box.

[​IMG]

List of breeds:
    RIR
    BR
    Cream Legbar
    Americana (so, I'm guessing EEs)
    GLW
    White Faced Black Spanish
    BSL

I know not all EE's lay colored eggs, but none of the listed breeds seem to account for a plain yellow chick either-- also that they could be mixed breed- this is for the fun of guessing.

I'll be updating pictures as they grow- and give more clues- right now I get snapshots here and there as momma hen allows.

Additional pictures:

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Sherloki

Sherloki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2016
    Texas
    I'm no expert and I Don't know about some of those breeds, but if the plain yellow has puffy cheeks it could be an EE. At our feed store there was a bunch of plain yellow EEs, some lighter and darker, but all yellow, while at another feed store there was an assortment of colors. Also the chipmunk one could very well be EE as well if it has puffy cheeks.
    [​IMG]
    This was our chipmunky girl, not nearly as light as yours though. I'm really leaning towards the very light chick if it is puffy cheeked or the chipmunk as the EE, I have seen white EEs before and they're pretty birds.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    The ones with the puffy cheeks could have had a mother or a father who were Easter Egger (the one from the brown egg could have had a EE father hence the brown egg). Can't wait to see them as they grow!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  4. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Thank you! You reminded me of how one of our EE's looked as a baby (pics below- both babies were EEs, other is yellow chick grown) and how much that changed! And it was only 8 months ago... giant DUH for me.

The plain chick doesn't seem to have the EE puffy cheeks of the other two, hopefully as it grows some distinguishing features will appear... I like your white EE idea though. We got a couple of the Super Blue Egg Layers - now 10 weeks- love, LOVE those pure white feathers! (3rd pic)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Another one of those egg-xellent reminders -- the egg only reflects the genetics of the chicken that laid it, not the chick inside, but the egg the chick came in gives us clues about genotype. I should write it out on a chalk board like the Simpson's intro [​IMG]

From what I've read, crests, if they're going to develop, start to become obvious around week 2, and also that they're dominant-- but I'm not positive about that. If these are accurate statements then sometime next week we'll have a pretty good idea how much the Cream Legbar roo had to do with the breeder's other stock.

Best guess about dark gray is a BSL cockerel based on the color, head spot, and lighter legs... but I'm holding on to my dream of a BR pullet for a little while longer.

Because one of the white eggs hatched, I know one should be 1/2 White Faced Black Spanish. Wonder if I'll end up with some sort of 'blue' with this one-- not all that familiar with chicken color genes but in the 'thinking out loud' category, if there's stock that's producing a plain yellow (for now anyways) with the breeds listed, maybe the black spanish got diluted by the same stock. The light gray chick has a faint head spot as well. Sometimes it looks like a shadow, sometimes it looks like a spot.

More fun along the way!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  6. Sherloki

Sherloki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2016
    Texas
    You're welcome. Wow those two are beautiful!

7. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Updated photos, 2 weeks old!

I think our plain yellow fellow is going to be a cockerel. Finally I got pictures that reflect the color! Still not sure what the breed or combo of breeds it is.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Here are the two fluffy muffed chickies at 2 weeks.
    I think we can safely call them EE's - not sure what the actual combo is though.

"Doodle" - 2 weeks
    [​IMG]

"Chip"- 2 weeks
    [​IMG]

Together: Chip is closest to the hen, Doodle is behind. Plain yellow from above is in the top row.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by