Guessing game - can you help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chirpy Chick, May 19, 2009.

1. Chirpy Chick

Chirpy Chick New Egg

May 19, 2009
    Hampshire UK
    Hello,

This is my first post.
    I would like to introduce you to the new members of our family. We got our first 4 chicks 5 weeks ago, when they were a day old. The only thing is were not 100% sure what breeds they are or what gender? I understand gender is a bit of an issue as their only 5 weeks old but if anyone has any idea I would love to hear your thoughts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's too early to tell for sure, but that last little one looks like a cockerel.

They are very cute. [​IMG]

3. Redsquirrel

Redsquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Burnsville, Minnesota
    Not sure of gender but the 2nd one looks like a Silkie and the last one a cochin [​IMG] (had both these breeds before). That's my guess anyhows. Post some more pics when they get a little older. They are very cute!

4. Chirpy Chick

Chirpy Chick New Egg

May 19, 2009
    Hampshire UK
    We thought the 2nd one was a Silkie but thought the 4th may have been a Brahma, could the 1st one be a Sussex? I really have no idea about number 3 although she (we are hoping for a she) looks a bit grumpy but is the most loving of the bunch and seems to prefer human company to that of her fellow chicks - one point that may be important she has 5 toes?

We chose these lovely 4 from a lucky dip of chicks and are so pleased with the way they are growing and have our fingers crossed for hens not Roos.

Regards gender, is it better to take future pictures of their combs or their tail feathers for advise?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by