1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guinea 2013

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Guinea 2013, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Guinea 2013

Guinea 2013 New Egg

Nov 3, 2013
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the site, but not new with chickens and the Guineas, lets not forget the ever entertaining Guinea. Have had chickens for most of my life. I just enjoy them. I have about 35 chickens of various breeds and crosses. I've got naked necks, Rhode Island reds, Aracauna and a little game thrown in for good measure.Best thing I ever did was to add a little game breed into my flock. They are good year round layers and are very good at brooding and raising a clutch of hatchlings in a free range environment very well. I've been very lucky about Hawks and owls bothering my birds. I have to have a wire top on my pen to prevent flyovers because the game and aracaunas will never stay in. I usually let my chickens out of their ample sized pen every day around 4 or 5 oclock. This allows them a couple of hours to forage and not be in such danger of predators, and also they don't venture so far away and be so vulnerable. It's not confirmed, but i believe that the free range Guineas in some way have some effect on helping to keep hawks away. A flock of Guineas are quite a formidable force. I've witnessed them driving a strange dog from my yard. Of course i live pretty far out in the country so my Guineas travel quite a distance from home, but make a few circles back around home during the day and are always home in the top of their favorite tree at night. I like to garden, but I'm having a fight with the guineas over my garden, I thought they were supposed to eat the insects from my garden and i guess they do, but tomatoe plants and beans don't stand a chance, they'll eat them as soon as i can plant them, I guess it just calls for a fence. Well I'll told you all about my little farm. I'm pleased to meet each and every one of you. Look forward to learning others experiences with chickens and hope that i can be of help to anyone else thar i can. By the way, i am in the market for some Guineas if anyone knows of anything please let me know. I live in southeast Georgia

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  2. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    [​IMG] Greetings from south Louisiana. It sounds like you have a nice flock with some good egg laying breeds.

3. keepmumsane

keepmumsane Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    featherston
    hi, my girls like to make moon craters in my garden... no better spot to sunbathe than the hole of an unlucky bean plant :) My lettuce only survives if its the red frilly kind. My girls used to go next door too, but the big black dog they got soon stopped that.
    They decided home was best.
    When we first got chooks we'd get the ladder out every evening and pluck our little ladies out of the trees and tuck em in bed, but we've figured out they come inside when its wet and nothing eats them in our garden. They saw off a random desperate dog who Climbed our back fence one night. Scared the living fur off me, ( you dont expect a mangy stray dog in your 6ft fenced yard) but other than a few feathers flying they were winners.
    We lifted the height in that corner of the fence and since then they have chicken play ground.

Bet those guineas are a real sight coming at you! Your flock sounds gorgeous!

Trying my luck with quail, so might be picking your brain on those game birds :)

welcome !

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Have you visited the Guinea Fowl section yet?

5. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome!Glad you joined BYC! :~D

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

7. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve. :frow

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Happy you joined!

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by