Guinea 911

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by guineaczech, Aug 8, 2014.

1. guineaczech

guineaczech Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2014
    damon tx
    A couple days ago 2 of my young guineas got into a knock down drag out fight. I tried several times to break it up, but they kept at it. Now the loser of the fight is limping around and started to lay seperate from the rest of the gang. Should I capture it and pen it up? Or would that just agrivate it more? They are not real tame.

Also does this mean i have two males?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. CharterChick

CharterChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop
    My dads birds went at it but he said they were establishing who was in charge. I know little about them fighting

3. Hotcookie

Hotcookie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2012
    I would just let things go for the time being. Yes, they are establishing a pecking order within their flock. I, too, hate to see them fight, but I guess it's a necessary evil for them to establish who's top "dog". As far as the one limping, mine will often start limping for one reason or another.....it's always gotten better by itself over time. Unless it's actually broken, the limp will get better by itself.

4. guineaczech

Aug 6, 2014
    damon tx
    I could not believe how vicious they were when fighting. I have had guineas for about 4 yrs now and never seen a fight. Thank you for advice. I saw that the injured guinea was roosting with the others last night so hopefully it is recovering.

5. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    To prevent fights I always make sure there is an equal number of both make and female.

6. guineaczech

Aug 6, 2014
    damon tx
    I will have to read up on how to distinguish the boys from th girls. They are rowdy bunch! 2 more are limping around now!

7. GuineaFowling

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    How many do you have? If you have more males than females the boys will fight over the girls. To distinguish them the females do the 'buckwheat' call and they also let their rump (the tuft of feathers above their tail) show. The males will have their wings sitting over their rump. Also, males usually stand tall and raise their wings up in a dominate stance. Its really hard to tell the difference unless you pay close attention. What I do if I dont know which ones are male and female I secure them into a coop and catch one at a time and stay with it for a while. Its time consuming but the females will eventual do the 'buckwheat' call and you'll be there to see it. Then I band the females and let the males be.

8. guineaczech

Aug 6, 2014
    damon tx
    Thank you for the information. I have 9 total guineas. 3 older ladies and then the new rowdy group of 6.

9. guineaczech

Aug 6, 2014
    damon tx
    How many do you have? If you have more males than females the boys will fight over the girls. To distinguish them the females do the 'buckwheat' call and they also let their rump (the tuft of feathers above their tail) show. The males will have their wings sitting over their rump. Also, males usually stand tall and raise their wings up in a dominate stance. Its really hard to tell the difference unless you pay close attention. What I do if I dont know which ones are male and female I secure them into a coop and catch one at a time and stay with it for a while. Its time consuming but the females will eventual do the 'buckwheat' call and you'll be there to see it. Then I band the females

What exactly is the "buckwheat" call? do they sound like they're saying buckwheat, is it something buckwheat said? My guineas mostly make noises that the military could use as a form of torture.

10. GuineaFowling

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    'Buckwheat' is just what some people call the call of a guinea hen as it sounds very similar. It is also referred to as the 'goodluck' call but buckwheat is more common.

Here is a link to a video on youtube to show you the call. You may recognise it.

Also listen to videos on youtube about the male calls. Some females make the males calls as well but not as often.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by