1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

GUINEA ACTING ILL, worried

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by st16795, Aug 5, 2011.

1. st16795

st16795 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Last week, the three of my guineas decided that it was time to ALL try to hatch some keets. Well, three nights ago, we had some seriously heavy, hard rain. After it stopped, I went to check on the guineas and one was soaking wet. Not knowing what to do, since guineas are extremely odd with nests (not to mention odd in general), I left her alone, hoping she would dry in the sun. The night following the rain, she gave up on the nest and spent the day and night in some bamboo. When she came out to the coop this morning, when I offered her food, I noticed something was up. Instead of scurrying away like the others do when I get near, she stayed sitting down and, after I poured some food, she just looked at it. Then, I noticed that every few seconds, she would shake her head slightly. When she did stand, she made a little white and green poo that looked more like goo. Of course, I raced in here to the computer, knowing that the BYC'ers could help. I don't have any idea what to do, besides antibiotics, and even then I don't know what kind to buy or anything about dosage.
    I've always read that respiratory symptoms=instant cull, but does that apply here? Is this thing contagious? Or is it not even respiratory.

I'm extremely worried for this poor little girl, please help!

Symptoms:
    -Abandoned nest
    -Shaking head every few seconds in a "no!" manner.
    -No discharge from eyes or ears, but she did "puke" up some crop gunk when I was carrying her.
    -Not eating
    -Not running away, very unusual, I just picked her right up.
    -Pooping yellow goo that has a bright green bit in it (from not eating?)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  2. monkeemakr

monkeemakr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Swansea, SC
    Is it the hen or one of the keats that is sick? I read somewhere that keats can die just from walking in wet grass because they can't stand the chill.

3. st16795

Aug 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Thank you for your reply! It's the hen, she had only been sitting for about a week before she left the eggs and started to act like this. I'm thinking that the eggs might've gotten wet with her in the thunderstorm.

I dunno why they walk 'em through the wet grass.. You'd figure they would be a little more careful, since the babies are the future of their species and all [​IMG]

4. st16795

Aug 1, 2009
    Ohio
    She died. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by