Guinea adventures continue.. Duck sitting on guinea eggs!

Chickiemom25

Crowing
12 Years
May 13, 2011
North Alabama
So I have been getting 3-4 eggs a day I think from 8 guineas. I long ago gave up trying to figure out who's a boy and who's a girl. The guineas have 6 metal nesting boxes in their run, but no one uses them. A duck however thought the tote in there made a great nest and is sitting on a clutch. Now the guineas are laying in the duck run... 2 duck hens were sitting in there but the guineas started laying in box#3. Why I have no idea. I took 30 duck and guinea eggs out last weekend and put them in an incubator ( why I have no idea as I already have 42 guinea eggs due on the 21st in the other incubator. ) then the unthinkable happened.. Jill ( brown muscovy) got off her clutch on Monday and decided nest 3 looked good. There were a few new duck eggs ( I have 5 hens and only 3 sitting) and at least a dozen guinea.. I put her 2/3 done eggs that she abandoned in the open slots of incubator 2 as she wouldnt let me near her box.

Now I have had an occasional chicken hatch out from a clutch of duck eggs, and the duck just keeps sitting somehow knowing that the odd creature wasn't supposed to hatch yet and the mamma waits for the rest to hatch 10 days later. Guineas however at NOT chickens. and due 5 days before the duck eggs will hatch, not 2 weeks. Also guineas are spastic compared to baby ducks and chicks. Any idea what will happen when they hatch? I am tempted to let them stay with the duck as catching them is always a challenge. Or will they see the adult guineas outside and go be with them ( given guinea brains, that is almost certain death although this group of 8 out of 30 has survived a year now).

Back
Top Bottom