Guinea and quail.

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by redrooster99, Dec 14, 2014.

1. redrooster99

redrooster99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    So I would like to raise my guineas away from the chickens but the only other place is near the quail. The guineas have been with the chickens all there life but are getting more aggressive. I have the quail under a seperate shelter than the chickens. The quail are under that shelter in their own pen the guineas cannot get to the quail if I was to put them in there they would just use the same shelter.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  2. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    I had my guineas free range around where my quail pen is. The guineas didn't mind the quail and they aren't like chickens were they will pass on any diseases. Sometimes the guineas would try and get into the quail pen when they saw treats but other than that they left them alone. I would make sure whatever wire or barrier you have set up is a quarter inch because you don't want the quail to be able to poke their heads through it or the guineas might attack the heads.

3. ColesCreek

ColesCreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2013
    Australia
    Be careful redrooster99 guinea fowl will attack your quails even through the wire so make sure there is a barrier so thay can't touch your quails and it also helps prevent diseaes being passed on ect.....

All the best

4. redrooster99

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    Thank you, but I think I will raise a pair of pheasants in that space instead. The guinea just don't like it in their because they were raised with the chickens.

5. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    How are your guinea fowl acting aggressive to the chickens?

I have raised some with my bantams and now they are nearly full grown they are starting to chase and bully the white chickens.. but leave the other colours alone.. strange. I am hoping I won't have to separate them.

6. redrooster99

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    My male will kinda spread his wings out and run at them then peck them. I don't have but one white chicken.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  7. GuineaFowling

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    yeah males are more aggressive. My male did the same with my chickens. How many guineas do you have, usually the more you have they tend to fight with one another more than the chickens. Guineas are just really rowdy. Thats why they go well with the turkeys, the turkeys can put them in their place.

8. redrooster99

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    I have three two girls and a boy. I am planning on getting turkey's next spring.

9. GuineaFowling

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    Yeah you have a small flock and thats why they are acting really aggressive. Usually a flock of 7-8 will be good around chickens. Maybe you can wait until your guinea hens hatch some keets.

10. ColesCreek

ColesCreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2013
    Australia
    Sounds like a good safe idea

Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by