Guinea attacked by dog/7 left/ will they be ok in confinement?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hope Frazier, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Hope Frazier

Hope Frazier Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2013
    Brownsville, Texas
    This morning my group of 8 guineas wondered two blocks away from my home and 1 was attacked by a dog. I wrapped it in a towel and put it in a cage with some water. It seems to just have a gash on its back but no bones seem to be broken. I did not want to mess with it too much as it was starting to get agitated. Should I put antibiotics in its water or just electrolytes? what about pain medication? Any advice would be appreciated. I had to go to work today so I will have to hope for the best until I get home at about 6.
    My second question is about the other 7. Do guineas do well in confinement? I would hate to have to butcher them but it does not seem like I have a choice if they are just going to get picked off by dogs. I was thinking of building a chicken tractor for them out of pallets i have lying around so I can continuously move them around. I have no idea how to build one but if any one has ideas or pictures I would appreciate that help as well. Thank you in advance!!

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I'm not the expert on Guineas in confinement and stuff. I would suggest asking that in the Guinea section on BYC. You need to give her some Blue-Kote to seal up the wound to prevent too much of a loss of blood and to seal the wound to prevent infection. Hope she gets better soon!

3. Hope Frazier

Hope Frazier Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2013
    Brownsville, Texas
    I placed this same thread in the guinea section, Thank you for the advice. The wound was not gushing just a really bad rip in the skin. I will have to treat with triple antibiotics until I can get to TSC to get blu kote.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by