Guinea bullies

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Chick_in_Indiana, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    I got my guieans as keets last May. I got 5 and then a week later got 2 more. They were all raised in the same brooder together. A few months ago 2 got lost so now I have 5. Now they have seperated, 3 of them are always together. All males. They dont want anything to do with the other 2, a male and a female. They chase them away and have even stood at the coop door and would let 1 of them in until I interveened. I would understand if it was a male vs male sort of thing but they are mean to the only female. Why? Does anyone else have this problem.

2. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    guinneas are just strange, mean birds. & noisy......

3. Renegade

Renegade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    Guineas do best in larger groups. We had problems with them a few years ago when we only had five so I got rid of them. Last summer I decided to hatch some out and these birds are fine. The big difference is we now have 24. Guineas do normally chase one another at different times during the day. They will usually quit once the chased bird moves to the outside of the group. When the group is not large enough the chasing can get out of hand.

Donna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by