Guinea Care

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by joza2210, Aug 3, 2010.

1. joza2210

joza2210 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Hello ,
    I have just bought 2 guinea fowl chicks ...

I feed them what i feed my chicken chicks - All Poultry Chick Crumbs ...

When they get older they will be living with the chickens in my massive walk in run ... Will they get on with chickens if they are brought up with them ?
    I will let them free range ...

Also can you keep 2 males together or will they fight like cockerels ?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Farmboy13

Farmboy13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    They shouldnt fight if u have 10 or more female chickens each rooster has about 4/5 girls

3. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

This question gets asked a lot! (myself included!) You can raise your chicks and keets together without issue -- chick starter is fine to feed them. You can also keep your chickens and guineas together, but there is a potential for problems with your guineas ganging up on your chickens, particularly male guineas singling out and attacking your rooster(s) once the guineas reach adolescence. Some people have not been bothered with this problem, but some people have been so bothered they were forced to rehome their guineas. I guess it will depend on the personality and sex of your particular guineas. Since you have just two, it might not be a problem at all. Mine live in a coop and run next door to my chickens, and will free range once they decide to leave the comforts of home [​IMG] but the chickens will be kept in a run just to avoid any issues. Guinea males do not behave the same as chickens amongst each other -- there are some great threads with this information not too far down on this forum. You probably should add some females, if you end up with two males though.

Someone who has had real experience will hopefully add their two cents as well. Good luck!

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I am raising guineas and chickens together, but I do not plan on having any roosters (if I do, they will be rehomed). We shall see what happens, but so far no problems <knock on wood>.

5. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    We started raising our guineas with our ducks 2 years ago, and all was fine until laying age when our 1 and only male guinea attacked our 1 and only drake. They then got separate housing. A year ago we got chickens and our 1 rooster decided to go after our 1 male guinea. Rooster lost, guinea had not a scratch on him, and the rooster never went after him again. We did get 3 more guineas last summer and 1 of them turned out to be male. All of the guineas roost together. 5 females and 2 males. All has been fine until 2 days ago when we found the younger of the 2 males had been attacked by the older 1, having a larger number of his back feathers ripped out. Exactlly what he did to the drake. Not sure what is going to happen now, but we shall see.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by