guinea chick with hurt leg

Its Just Us Chickens

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Mississippi
Hi,

I bought some chickens from a man today, and he showed us some guineas he had. They were 2 weeks old. The kids wanted some, so I bought 3, one each of the kids. I let the kids hold the box on the way home and one of them must have been a little too rough with a chick. It's leg is hurt. When it tries to stand up, it's leg slides out from under it. It's breathing a little heavy now. Is there anything we can do for it?

UPDATE:

Had to go to town this afternoon, so I went ahead and took the baby to the vet. He said nothing is broken, the leg was just out of joint. But the ligaments are pulling it out at an angle. He straightened it best he could, but said there's no way to splint it. Now we just wait for mother nature to do what she can for it.

He said for me to put eggshell foam in their crate till its leg heals. He said it would be the best thing for him to walk on. I'm trying to figure out how to do that without it getting really nasty. Maybe cut 2 pieces have one in the crate and one washing and drying?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom