Guinea + Chicken = ???

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Sunny Side Up, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I've got some real lonely-hearted poultry in my back yard. There's a single surviving guinea hen left from the original flock of 5. She often crouches in front of us when we approach her from behind. Then there are about 30 young cockerels free-ranging all day, keeping themselves occupied until they get invited in to the dinner table. Some of them are getting old enough & brave enough to try chasing after the laying hens.

This evening I saw one of the cockerels mating with the guinea hen. I don't know if they were able to complete the transaction, but they were certainly trying. The roo-boy was grabbing onto the skin at the back of the guinea's neck & scrabbling around with his back parts trying to find the target. The guinea was crouched down with her wings outspread, but her tail was pointed down instead of up like a chicken hen's would be.

I've heard that guineas & chickens will mate, & even produce offspring. Does it work both ways, with female guinea + male chicken as well as male guinea + female chicken? Are the offspring similar or different depending on the mix? Are they sterile like mules?

Does anyone have photos you could post of these mixed-species birds?

2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
  3. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    LOL you beat me by a second....

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] Thank you, I've been curious about this & so have my kids. That one article seemed to indicate that the only way a guinea cock & a chicken hen could conduct business is through artificial insemination, is that right? But chicken cocks and guinea hens could complete a transaction the old-fashioned way.

Does anyone here have photos of their own guins, or guin-hens to show? [​IMG]

5. Pit Bull Farm

Pit Bull Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    good post! I have been interested in this myself. I do not want my chicken and guineas breeding, so this is a good post to follow.

6. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I've caught my guinea roos mating with my chicken hens, but no offspring.

I've also heard that it can be done with AI only. Who knows!

7. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    Can guineas and Turkeys mate? My neighbor has three guinea that are housed with her chickens and two Turkeys. The turkeys have taken over the guineas acting as mothers. It's kind of cute. The trio follow the turkey around all day.

8. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I'm sorry, but that guinea and turken combination was ugly. I would eat it ASAP. But I might not be fair. I never much cared for turkens.

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    You can get guinea x chicken crosses without artificial insemination it's just rare. Plenty of people with 100s of each have not seen one. I believe some groups were working on mass producing the results of artificial insemination though in the hopes of producing another good meat bird.

I've yet to find any info about guinea x turkey but they can cross with other things so it might be possible. Maybe it's just not physically possible for them to mate and no one has taken the effort to try making it happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by