Guinea Cock and Roo Fighting.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GallopingGoat, May 7, 2011.

1. GallopingGoat

GallopingGoat Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Vermont
    Has anyone had this happen to them? Besides confining the guinea (he's really beating up my roo - stalking him), what can I do? The chickens and guineas lay their eggs in the same coop and basket (I only have 9 birds) - not out in the great beyond, as I had hoped they would. Could this be causing the angst? All of my birds have been together without a problem for about 9 months now.

Thanks

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Guinea/chicken interactions can be problematic. They can get along fine, but generally something clicks in the guineas' little pea brains during the breeding/laying season and once they start harassing the chickens it rarely stops. You may have to keep the guinea separate until the breeding season is over.

3. GallopingGoat

May 7, 2010
    Vermont
    Sorry to sound stupid, but do you know when the breeding season of each stops?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Testosterone production is affected by daylength; ie, longer days hornier male fowl. Although they will breed year round, activity tends to drop off in the autumn through the winter. That being said once guineas start their bizarre behavior they sometimes persist. The only guaranteed cures are separation or separation of head from body as in culling.[​IMG]

5. GallopingGoat

May 7, 2010
    Vermont
    The guineas I have are two pairs - how will it affect them if there are two hens and only one cock?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by