Guinea Color Question

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by jessied1227, Aug 17, 2007.

1. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    Okay, I was able to get a semi-decent picture of the other guineas. They are in the tractor with the chicks and tend to stay as far away from me as possible. [​IMG]

Here they are:
    [​IMG]

I know it's not a great picture, but it's the best I was able to get. The fifth guinea is out of the picture, but is the same color as the whitish guinea which we have determined to be a lavendar.

Thanks so much for your help.
    Jess

2. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    From left to right:
    Buff, Pearl, Lavender, Pearl

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

JackieK hit the nail on the head.

4. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    I agree. Buff, Pearl, Lavender & Pearl.

The reason your Guineas don't look like the pics you've seen is that they have not fully feathered yet & still have the baby color.

Pretty!!!

Jean

5. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    Thanks everyone.

The guy at the feed store, when my husband asked what colors they were, shrugged and said, I dunno, I guess whatever color they are now. [​IMG]

I'm quite pleased with them, but they are terribly skittish. They are in with my 6 week old chicks, and the chicks are fine with us, but the guineas just freak out when we go to put them in the tractor or get them out.

Thanks again-
    Jess

6. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    Yep. That be a guinea's personality - skittish and more skittish. It's good though - they'll alert the chickens to anything around and they also will kill a snake! They're a hoot to watch trailing through the yard - enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by