Guinea Coop

bruno

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 4, 2014
New guinea owner here.

I have six guinea keets that I would like to free range, closing them in at night once they are old enough. Should the shelter in the coop be a certain minimum height so they can roost "comfortably" off of the ground? How about the dimensions of the shelter itself? I would anticipate getting additional keets down the road via my guineas breeding or buying additional. Thanks in advance.

Make your guinea coop as tall as you can. They like to be as far off the ground as they can. Mine roosted in the rafters of the coop and they were 8 feet off the ground. Also, make the coop as large as you can afford to make it. I have a 12x16 that housed (at night) 35 guineas.

One word of caution, they do not go in to roost naturally like chickens do. They will, however imprint on where ever they are brooded. Get them into the coop you want them to come home to as soon as you can....like, NOW. I used a cardboard box in the garage as long as I could, then moved the whole box to the coop and cut a door in the box so they could come and go.....they are strange birds but loved that box until it was nothing but scraps on the floor of the coop.

200x200px-ZC-275cd1e5_Guineabox5.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom