Guinea died today?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by tomingreeneco, Apr 2, 2012.

1. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Greene County, PA
    Looked out the office widow today and saw 6 guinea around something on the ground. They never made any warning noises and could not make out what it was. Went outside and it was one of the guineas dead. Just saw them all 10 minutes ago and all were fine. Looked over the dead guinea and everything looked OK. No missing feathers, no cuts, no blood, nothing. What could have happened? I have heard of guineas running into things and killing themselves? Could this be it? As anyone ever had a hawk kill a bird with no blood or a mess of feathers? I would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks.

2. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Only birds I have had kill theirselves have gotten hung up in poultry netting or fencing. Lost a few that way, they stick their heads through holes in the fence & manage to turn their body (I assume acting spastic like guineas often do). Even had one hang theirselves upside down by their feet. Oh & can't forget about the one that managed to get stuck between the fencing & the sheet metal that is buried in the ground. In all I have probably have 5 kill theirselves over the past yr, but not yet to a head injury from running into something. Everytime I have found one I just shake my head in disbelief.
    I do believe it is possible. My chickens don't seem near as prone to inflect harm to theirselves. Guineas fall into a special category for sure!

3. naturespace

naturespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2011
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Heart issues don't leave marks. That would be my guess.

4. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    X2 ^

Sorry for your loss Tom.

5. BritinMO

BritinMO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Oh, so sorry for you loss.

6. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

7. daylily

daylily Chillin' With My Peeps

That's terrible! I am so sorry!

I've have one bird that is soooooo accident prone, she has nearly died from dehydration (the others weren't letting her drink, hanging upside down due to leg wound up in outdoor carpet, head stuck twice in different types of fencing, loss of blood from wing injury and I have had all of them knock themselves out from flying into glass windows but only this one went through the glass.

Oh yes and I had another go down real quick due to being egg bound, took less than 5 min looking the other way and down. Scooped her up and into a heated cage with electrolytes and warm turkey mash. I really thought that was it, no movement, eyes closed head hanging down. 2 hours later she was in the middle of the mash and water on her side but alert and she laid a very large egg for her but with no shell. Two days later she was walking again and her ole cranky self.

Sometimes you just never know! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by