Guinea Egg Hatching Questions - Long post and probably confusing. lol

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rose66, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Rose66

Rose66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Alabama
    We're new to incubating eggs but our first try is hatching some guinea eggs. We found two large nests on Friday, March 16th with a guinea hen sitting on one of the nests. We have no idea how old the eggs are or how long the hen had been sitting on them. But we bought a 1588 incubator with egg turner to see if any of the eggs would hatch. The incubator got here Tuesday, March 20th so that evening we collected the eggs from both nests. The nest that the guinea hen was sitting on had 47 eggs!! We left her 13 eggs to sit on and put eight of the eggs under a broody chicken. The other nest that no hen was sitting on had over 25 eggs in it and we took them all. We put 26 eggs in the incubator from the nest that the guinea hen was sitting on and filled the rest of the incubator with eggs from the other nest that no hen was sitting on (42 eggs total). We candled some of the eggs last night and to my *very* inexperienced eye, I think alot of them are developing but the ones that the hen was sitting on look to be more developed than the ones from the nest that no hen was sitting on. Since we have no idea how old any of the eggs are, I'm guessing that the 26 eggs that the guinea hen was sitting on had already starting developing while the 16 eggs from the other nest did not start developing until we started incubating them. Is that possible?

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

That's the way it works. Eggs don't start developing until they are incubated, either by a hen or in an incubator..........Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by