Guinea eggs under a broody American Game Hen---ONE Hatched! Pic on pg2

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by ellie_may12, Aug 9, 2010.

1. ellie_may12

ellie_may12 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2009
    St Tammany
    Today was day 11 and the suspense was killing me, so I decided to candle them. Mama Hen drew blood on my hand when I was trying to get the eggs, but I definitely saw baby keets in 3 of the 5 eggs. The other two had yolks and air pockets, but no veins, no other shadows. I'm terribly excited. Hopefully at the end of the month, I'll have 3 new additions to my little urban farm.

Problem is...if I get 3 then there are no babies to share with Mom...the deal was, if I got 4 she would get 2 and I would get 2, but 3 is an odd number...Guess I'll be buying her a couple of keets from the hatchery. Or wait for my hen to go broody again (this is her second time in about 3 months) and buy some more eggs. I was pretty concerned about her being a good mama, because she keeps getting off of the eggs during the day. Then the other hens get into her nest and lay fresh eggs. She will get into another nest, until the other hens are done and then go back to the fertile eggs. I guess she knows what she is doing though...

So should a take out the 2 that aren't fertile or just leave them?

Anyway, enough late night ramblings...Thanks for listening!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Good Luck ellie_may12! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    If you want your guineas to be friendly I'd raise them all yourself. Then buy momma hens some different babies! [​IMG]

3. ellie_may12

May 31, 2009
    St Tammany
    Thanks! That is what I was thinking too...Mama Hen is not very friendly to start with, so I may just steal those babies and put them into a brooder as soon as they are hatched.

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Do you know anybody that has chicks for sale localy?

5. ellie_may12

May 31, 2009
    St Tammany
    I may be able to get some from the same woman that I got the guinea eggs from or craigslist. I just really don't need any more chickens right now. LOL Isn't that the way it always is?

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Oh come on! You can get just a more chick'ns can't ya? [​IMG]

7. ellie_may12

May 31, 2009
    St Tammany
    See...if I could find some of those pretty little Silkies like you have, then sure, what is a few more chickens! Right now I have 15 hens in a 50'x25' area...while that gives them about 83 square feet per bird, they have nibbled every piece of vegetation down to its root. Nothing grows in their chicken yard. Which is one of the reasons for getting guineas. They supposedly won't destroy my yard/garden like the chickens do.

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    You could always order some hatching eggs, and let her sit on the while she's setting on the guin eggs. Or you might consider ordering from mypetchicken.co,m you can get as few a 3 baby chicks! [​IMG]

9. ellie_may12

May 31, 2009
    St Tammany
    LOL I haven't told my husband that Mama is sitting on guinea eggs yet! How will I explain that she also has baby chicks?

On that note, my friend that gave me Mama Hen came over the other day, so I decided to take her out and candle the eggs for her, so she could see the babies. My little smarty pants daughter overheard me and ran inside the house talking about going to see the babies. Her daddy said, "What babies??? Who has new babies?" I told him that she was talking about Mama's eggs.

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Oh Nooo! What did he do??? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by