guinea eggs under my broody silkie hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlisa, May 7, 2009.

1. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    I just put 9 eggs under my Silkie yesterday. 7 of them are from my guinea pen ( My extra Roosters are in there too.) If my Guineas beat up on the Roos in there, what are the chances of these guinea eggs being pure or crossed with the Roos? I want pure guineas to hatch, and am thinking that they are so mean to the Roos that they'd never endure the Roos mating with the guinea hens. Is that reasonable thinking? I'll know in 27 days (or later) for sure I guess. Guineas are 28 days for incubating, right?

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I don't know if i understand this or not.// Are you wondering if your Roosters ( Chickens) can mate your guineas? I have never heard that they can but will be watching to find out..

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    There is a chance, though rare that the roo did mate with the guinea hen, and a guin-hen is hatched, it will be uglier than a regular guinea, and should also be sterile, so that will be the end of the line for that hatchling.

Yes they take 28 days, but dont be surprized if they show up at 26, or wait 30 to show.

4. melissa508

melissa508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    It happens, more apt to if the chickens & guineas were raised together, Ive seen several of them..havent seen a silkie/guinea cross & would love to..but i never seemed to have guineas & silkies hatched close enough together to raise...maybe this year I will lol

They dont always look the same either, ive seen ones that favor the chicken more & ones that favor the guinea more

5. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Roosters can mate with Guineas.

My Guineas are MEAN!

I would think if one of your sweet, gentle little Silkies hatches out some Guineas, she would be all confused--"Where did this Bad Seed come from?"

[​IMG]

6. AnniesEggFarm

AnniesEggFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    It is very rare... it talks about it on this website... http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/

I
    house mine together and they were chicks together. But I have never seen a "interracial breeding" [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ...... That website I mentioned is full of info on guineas... I [​IMG] it!

Oh P.S. Guineas AREN'T mean, they are no different than chickens depending on if they are hand raised or not [​IMG]

Jenn [​IMG]

7. IggiMom

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I have seen my RI Red Roo mate with lady Guineas several times, but who knows if there have been any progeny. Most of the Guinea eggs have been eaten.

Re mean. I guess I should not generalize. I am sure there are nice Guineas out there, but not living here! I did raise them in a box, right along with my chickens, and from there into the coop.

They have been awful. They chase my poor hens every chance they get. When they lived in the coop they would not let the chickens eat. Even if they were not hungry, they would chase the chickens away from the food, just because.

I finally had to move them out of the chicken coop, which was difficult, and my egg laying went WAY up because the chickens had enough to eat and because they were not being picked on.

Then the minute I let the chickens out of the coop in the morning, the Guineas would instantly start to chase them. If I have a treat to toss to everybody, I have to stand there and make sure the chickens get their share, and the chickens have learned to eat and peck around under my feet.

They do seem recently to have worked things out better, but these Guineas really are mean, regardless of how they were raised.

My gentle Peafowl, and they have a reputation for being mean, have never acted like that, and I have had them for years.

The Guineas are great for eating bugs, though. They are also good watchdogs, but so are the Peafowl. And of course the dogs are good watchdogs.

I truly did not mean to insult your Guineas. I am sure there are nice Guineas out there, and of course you like your own babies![​IMG]

8. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Your poor silkies are going to be more confused then ours were when they hatched payer chicks. They would take them out in the yard and they would fly up in the bushes. Poor silkies would just look at them and try to call them back down. Please let us know how it goes with the rearing of the guineas by the silkies. You should have some great stories.

Susan

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  9. IggiMom

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    What are payer chicks?

10. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    Quote:If my guineas eggs are crossed at all- they are with the LF Roos- not Silkies. My Silkies are all together and the girls are going broody on me, so I thought I'd see what hatches out of the guinea eggs. Will post more info and pics when anything happens with them.

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by