1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guinea eggs vs. chicken eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by piccolini, Feb 17, 2011.

1. piccolini

piccolini Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Camino, CA
    The last two days I have gone out to collect the eggs and found an egg that looks like it came from a bantam hen- I don't have any bantam hens. I do, however have a pair of guineas. The hen should probably be about laying age... Is it possible that these are her eggs? I have not seen guinea eggs before so I have no clue if I am being completely absurd and one of my silly large breed hens are laying smallish eggs or that they are in fact guinea eggs
    Any input is appreciated
    Thank you

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    It could have been. What color and size was the egg? Some hens do lay "fart" eggs once in a while, especially if you have new layers. Just saying [​IMG]

3. patty12

patty12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    A guinia egg is a warm light brown and rounded on one end with the other end being rather pointed, reminds me as the shape of a toy top that we played with when young children.

4. piccolini

piccolini Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Camino, CA
    They are a creamy white color. All of my other hens lay more brown eggs as well. However they aren't super "pointed" but rather look a lot like a silkie's eggs. Maybe it is just one of the hens throwing a weird color and size?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by