Guinea eggs

chaneg78

Songster
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Hudson IN
Do guineas lay as often as chickens? How do they compare in size to chickens? If you house them with chickens do they lay in the same nesting box? If so, is it easy to tell them apart. Do most people eat the guinea eggs, and do they taste the same as chicken eggs? Thanks.

Guinea eggs are about the size of bantam chickens..maybe even a lil smaller...My kids eat them and love them, but don't taste the same as chicken eggs. Very easy to tell them apart...a very hard shell...Mine lay in the same nesting boxes as the chickens...but I have heard that most don't.

Oh forgot...here's a pic...

It is the small one in the front...the egg on the left is a RIR, the one behind is turkey, the one to the right is a duck...guinea right in front.

They have a very different shape. Once you see them you will never mistake them. They usually lay every day in their laying season. Their season ends before chickens.

Guineas eggs are about the size of bantam, sometimes a little larger. They are very distinguishable. They are a brownish tint, but not brown, and they have a VERY pointy end. They taste different from chicken eggs, I think better. Guinea eggs are all yolk inside, with very little white. They are also very rich. They make the best cakes you ever tasted also. My guineas never lay with the chickens. They find a good hiding spot and the only way to find it is to watch them and the male and the rest of the guineas will be standing right beside her.

For more info:
http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/eggs/
Great site on any guinea info.

A little off subject, but do they lay the same time every day? Like ducks lay in the middle of the night or early morning. I would love to know whether mine have started laying but they're free range during the day and I haven't seen any eggs in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom