Guinea foot got caught in fence and now he doesn't use it

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mylittlehof, Jul 19, 2008.

1. mylittlehof

mylittlehof Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    My Guinea got his foot caught in the fence and now he doesn't use it - will he survive if it is broken or injured beyond repair? He has access to food and water where he is right now. He can hop around and fly - just puts no weight on his foot. Thanks!!

2. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    I also have one that hurt his foot. I think he got his foot caught in something also. It happened a couple of months ago and he is just starting to put his foot down to walk. He did just fine as far as getting food and water. He went outside during day and back in the coop at night.

Hopefully, yours will do the same as mine and make a quick recovery.

3. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Question for you...are guineas very loud? I have just ordered 2 chicks, and am hearing "OH! Do you REALLY know how LOUD they are???"

YIKES!

4. mylittlehof

mylittlehof Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    Sorry = but yes for the first year they alarm alot! After about a year, mine have settled down and are not as loud. The girls are louder and alarm more then the boys. If you and your neighbors can get through the first year, it won't be as bad. They are terrific at eating bugs and I love watching mine wander around the back yard. So if you can get through the loud time, they are worth having around.

5. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, grief! Thanks! We'll prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and enjoy them in the meantime!

Denee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by