1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guinea foul with scaly leg mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Meandmypoultry, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Meandmypoultry

Meandmypoultry New Egg

Jan 2, 2013
    [​IMG]

I'm not entirely sure what this is, the goldish scabby things on his feet are falling off, that is what the blood and pink is from. Please help ASAP. A week or two ago we noticed him limping, checked it out, saw he had mud on his feet, cleaned it up, and thought he was fine. a week ago we noticed it wasn't better, put him in a nuirsing cage, and scrubbed his feet once and applied neosporin.
    Is this scabby leg mites?
    If it is, what should we do? I heard soaking in sea salt, scrubbing with dishwashing soap and coating in vaseline?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Wow my that's the worst case of scaly leg mites ive ever seen. Soak its feet in warm water to clean the legs. Then smother vaseline all over its legs.

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    x 2!

Please do not scrub the legs... you can cause further problems and pain. Vaseline is sufficient and do please keep applying every few days until new healthy scales appear - treat the legs up to where the feathers start and massage the vaseline in well

Suzie

4. bluemaranfan

bluemaranfan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2014
    Hi Meandmypoultry,
    I have 3 Narragansett turkeys with very similar symptoms. Did your guineas actually have mites? How did you treat this condition and how did it go? I've got a current thread if you might be interested in weighing in on this.
    ~ Roberta

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by