Guinea fowl and chicken love

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lgw86, Feb 28, 2014.

1. lgw86

lgw86 New Egg

Feb 28, 2014
    Hello all,
    I have a male guinea fowl who has decided to become infatuated with one of my hens. Only prob is the hen has now had 15 chicks (to the rooster I think) and I have put her in a separate netted fully enclosed area away from cats and hawks. There is also another hen in there too with chicks. They have been separated but the guinea could easily fly over the wire into the other hens area.
    The guinea fowl is beside himself and is just running around the pen all day long screaming and screeching.
    Can I let him in or will he hurt the chicks?? I'm not sure if guinea fowls have the tendency to be aggressive towards babies.

Thankyou,
    Lauren

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    He is very likely to kill the chicks. Keep him away - doesn't he have any female guineas to fill his desires?

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    from Washington state glad you joined us!

4. lgw86

lgw86 New Egg

Feb 28, 2014
    Yes he does but they are younger and he just doesn't seem thrilled by them at all. For some reason he is just besotted by this particular hen. I just hope he gets over his screaming and running around the pen phase. It's not the most enjoyable thing to witness

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

Yes, larger fowl really shouldn't mix with smaller fowl. Sometimes bad things happen.

Good luck with your flock and enjoy BYC!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Can you separate the guinea away from where he can see/hear the hen he is infatuated with for awhile?... are the female guineas mature?

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. I would keep the guinea fowl away from the hen and chicks - they can be a little wacky/hyper. He needs a mate. Apparently he has developed what he thinks is a pair bond with the hen.

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright Lauren, [​IMG] it's great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yes they can get along but you have a guinea who is alone [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Don't let this photo make you think it is a big happy family as
    with any family once the food is gone the picking and feather
    pulling starts right back up so the separation happens real
    fast [​IMG]

Keep him away if you want your chicks ,,, at least for 4 weeks [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

9. Heme

Heme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    First off...I was advised that the Guinea hen was engineered or modified from the Chicken. So am am told. With that said; folks I know in Tennessee have both of theses fowl associating together on their farms. Chickens somewhat migrate in a flock and disperse in a general area, then occasionally run together like kids being called to dinner by mom.

The Guinea fowl move in a group and follow the leader for the most part, but they have been known to slip up from time to time.

Enjoy your feathered friends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by