Guinea fowl brother to sister breeding

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Jesussaves777, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Jesussaves777

Jesussaves777 New Egg

Sep 14, 2014
    i Have 13 guineas from a regular Pearl mom and a jumbo white dad, Im hoping to breed the offspring together, is this a bad idea?

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    This is a risk becuase this is inbreeding so you might get more problems than breeding mother to son or father to daughter.

3. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    The mother and father are obviously not related to each other so you may not have inbred problems with the first hatch from siblings. But unless you bring in new blood for successive generations the chances of deformities keeps getting greater. [​IMG]

4. IceAngel

IceAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2013
    It is inbreeding but it doesn't matter if you breed brother to sister or mother to son because both combinations share about 50% of the genes. Ideally, for the hardiest of offspring, you want to introduce new blood. However, there is a lot of inbreeding going on in wild bird populations and they seem to have survived, albeit, the gene pool is getting more narrow and birth defects can increase and fertility go down with inbreeding.

Why not trade some males with neighbours? Or check Kijiji for someone who is also breeding in your area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by