Guinea Fowl Cockerel laying down all the time

Chkinkeeper7474

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2015
I have a pair of guinea fowl,and the male has been laying down quite a bit. He was causing trouble so I put him in a hutch inside the run for the past 2 weeks. I let him and his mate freerange every night. But I noticed that when I let him out he walked around and just laid down. Not sunning or dusting just kinda sitting there. This is my first pair of guinea fowl and I have no idea if this is normal behavior? And help is greatly appreciated.

My guineas like to lay down, especially in the evening. I think rather than hunting they play "sit and wait" with the insects since so many come out around that time and things will land near them.

I have a pair of guinea fowl,and the male has been laying down quite a bit. He was causing trouble so I put him in a hutch inside the run for the past 2 weeks. I let him and his mate freerange every night. But I noticed that when I let him out he walked around and just laid down. Not sunning or dusting just kinda sitting there. This is my first pair of guinea fowl and I have no idea if this is normal behavior? And help is greatly appreciated.
Watch closely and you will see the male being alert and watching the hen as she works in a circle around him. He will continue to lay there as long as she stay within sight and within a certain distance of him. If he spots something that he believes is a threat such as another guinea entering his imaginary circle or the hen leaving the imaginary circle he will react promptly.

This is typical guinea behavior and it is always the male that lays down as the hen circles him. This behavior only occurs during breeding/laying season.

Back
Top Bottom