1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guinea fowl - Does/can anyone eat them or their eggs?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by joebryant, Jan 31, 2010.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Possibly a really dumb question, but...
    Are Guineas just for enjoyment or do people eat them? Do the people who have them eat their eggs?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

We ate them when I was growing up.

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Their eggs are awesome...never ate the birds. I sold mine for a good price. Besides...I wasn't hungry [​IMG]

4. joebryant

Quote:Thanks, Katy, right after I posted this I read your reply on another post about Guineas. I figured they were eaten, but I've never seen them being sold or advertised as being ready for cooking.

5. joebryant

Quote:Thanks, that's interesting. Wonder why I've never seen their eggs for sale anywhere.

6. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I'm hearing more and more people eating them. I hear it is very good! I've never eaten them or their eggs, but would.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They're more like pheasant in taste than a chicken.

8. joebryant

Quote:I'd like to try them too.

9. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:Thanks, that's interesting. Wonder why I've never seen their eggs for sale anywhere.

Try Ebay in the spring time. They sell like crazy! Especially the first few weeks when everyone is in a hurry to get some, and the last weeks when everyone wants some for next year. I have sold dozens locally and on Ebay.

10. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    We eat their eggs, the yolks are even darker than the chickens because they consume so many bugs. I can't really tell a taste difference between chicken and guinea eggs other than you could play softball w/ a guinea egg. The shells are SO HARD. Also the shape is a little different than chicken eggs. They are seasonal layers (at least mine are in Idaho) so you won't get year round eggs like a hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by