Guinea fowl eggs for people with chicken egg allergies

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by TexGardenGirl, Oct 20, 2010.

1. TexGardenGirl

TexGardenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    northeast of Dallas
    Anyone out there have allergy to chicken eggs and tried guinea eggs? I've been trying to research and not finding much info. My mom found out she was allergic to eggs a few weeks before my chickens started laying last year. (Very sad - I really wanted to share her grand-chickens' eggs with her.) Anyway, I now have guineas, and I'm wondering if she could eat the eggs when they start laying next spring. So far they are hanging out with their chicken buddies so maybe I'll get lucky and have some actually lay in the henhouse...
    I just wondered if anyone had personal experience with the allergy issue. Thanks!

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    It's a possibility, but you'll have much more luck with quail and duck eggs. I have done extensive research on this very thing for my pastor, whose baby is allergic to eggs. Eventually they will try her on quail eggs. She is too young yet to let them know if she is reacting, so they haven't tried. From everything I have gathered, it is a specific enzyme in chicken eggs that is reactive. That enzyme is not present in quail or duck eggs. I haven't seen any research on guinea eggs.

3. TexGardenGirl

TexGardenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    northeast of Dallas
    Thanks for the reply, Cindiloohoo! It does seem like there would be a better chance with duck eggs, they're clearly not very closely related to chickens, but I haven't talked DH into waterfowl yet (maybe whenever he gets to building a bigger pond he'll go for it!).

Any other experiences out there?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by