Guinea Fowl Experience?

ldrchickens

Songster
Jul 1, 2018
Oklahoma
My Coop
My Coop
Does anybody have experience hatching and raising guinea fowl? I want to get a decent size flock to patrol around our land to maybe help control bug and tick population? I want to order some assorted eggs or even buy some assorted colors locally but for as long as i can remember my grandma said they are super hard to raise from babies especially the fancy colors ones. I raised three standard ones and only lost one to respiratory infection. So my question is are they similar to raising baby chicks regardless of color or variety? Also will they patrol around several acres and come home at night or just stay in our yard? Thank you!

Does anybody have experience hatching and raising guinea fowl? I want to get a decent size flock to patrol around our land to maybe help control bug and tick population? I want to order some assorted eggs or even buy some assorted colors locally but for as long as i can remember my grandma said they are super hard to raise from babies especially the fancy colors ones. I raised three standard ones and only lost one to respiratory infection. So my question is are they similar to raising baby chicks regardless of color or variety? Also will they patrol around several acres and come home at night or just stay in our yard? Thank you!
I recommend reading Raising Guinea Fowl 101. Pay particular attention to posts made by @PeepsCA

I have not found guineas difficult to hatch or raise. They do require a quality Turkey or Gamebird starter as they need a higher concentration of protein, lysine, methioniine and niacin than can be found in chick starter.

My current flock consists of Coral Blues, Chocolates, a Lavender, a Sky Blue and a Royal Purple.

You have to train them to come home at night and it is best to provide them with a predator proof coop for the night. They are very vulnerable to predators at night.

Good luck.

I recommend reading Raising Guinea Fowl 101. Pay particular attention to posts made by @PeepsCA

I have not found guineas difficult to hatch or raise. They do require a quality Turkey or Gamebird starter as they need a higher concentration of protein, lysine, methioniine and niacin than can be found in chick starter.

My current flock consists of Coral Blues, Chocolates, a Lavender, a Sky Blue and a Royal Purple.

You have to train them to come home at night and it is best to provide them with a predator proof coop for the night. They are very vulnerable to predators at night.

Good luck.
Thank you! do know when i had the one super mean guine i tried and tried to chase him away to catch him but he always came back to his house. He is now happily living with a friends guinea flock though.

I have raised guinea keets and do not find it any harder than chicks.
I too use game bird starter for them. In my experience though the fancy colored ones are the first to get picked off by preditors. I now only have pearl. They seam to live longer.
My guineas range far, some so far they got lost and never returned.
If you have close neighbors, make sure they will not object, as guineas are loud and can be anoying to some people.
Good luck!

I have raised guinea keets and do not find it any harder than chicks.
I too use game bird starter for them. In my experience though the fancy colored ones are the first to get picked off by preditors. I now only have pearl. They seam to live longer.
My guineas range far, some so far they got lost and never returned.
If you have close neighbors, make sure they will not object, as guineas are loud and can be anoying to some people.
Good luck!
thank you!

Back
Top Bottom