Guinea fowl has frostbite on her right foot.

Feb 5, 2022
Wyoming
One of my two guinea fowl who we got on the thirteenth of April 2022 has frostbite on her right foot. She got it a few days ago not more than a week now I believe it happened from her getting her foot wet outside or something. I haven't done much with it besides look at it whenever I can Doodle the unfortunate guinea is ah yes then the other one so it's hard to hold her. I don't really have anywhere to out her in my house or any warm space for her. I know there's not much I can do for frostbite my goal is mostly just to keep her comfortable and prevent infection as best I can.

Doodles right foot has started to show the blisters today.
20230108_101230_HDR.jpg

These two feet on top of the BBQ are Frankies the other guinea. No frostbite here.
20230108_101235.jpg

The most I plan on doing with Doodles foot is soaking it and keeping it as clean as I can while causing her little stress. She's been holding her head down a lot but acts like her self for the most part. She lost her middle toe nail a while back too. I put the link to the thread I made about her nail here https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/guinea-fowl-broke-its-talon-not-an-emergency.1539980/

And what can I do to help her be in less pain, I don't have any baby aspirin atm but i can ask my parents to get some when they next go to the store.

I mostly just need some guidance, i read a article on here about frostbite after I had found she has it, every case and Situation is different and I want to be as educated as I can for her so I can do as best I can to help her.

Attachments

• 20230108_101218_HDR(1).jpg
    20230108_101218_HDR(1).jpg
    655.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230108_101230_HDR.jpg
    20230108_101230_HDR.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230108_101224(1).jpg
    20230108_101224(1).jpg
    750.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230108_101219_HDR.jpg
    20230108_101219_HDR.jpg
    851.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230108_101218_HDR.jpg
    20230108_101218_HDR.jpg
    647.5 KB · Views: 8
I just leave frostbite alone. Messing with the tissue isn't a good idea in my experiences. You can't undo the damage, and you don't want to hasten the process. Either they will lose tissue or it will heal up.
That's what I was going to do especially since she freaks out to much if I try holding her even if she's not hurt. I mostly want to know if I can help her be more comfortable.

I got more pictures of her toes today I'll post them later.

That's what I was going to do especially since she freaks out to much if I try holding her even if she's not hurt. I mostly want to know if I can help her be more comfortable.

I got more pictures of her toes today I'll post them later.
Sometimes more comfortable means more active. One reason for pain is to restrict movement to minimize injuries. I know some people use aspirin in poultry, but that's not something I've done.

Frostbite treatment for feet and toes varies greatly, including no treatment at all as @oldhenlikesdogs mentioned. When my hen suffered severe frostbite to her feet, i was advised on her thread to do all the treatments you mentioned, including Epsom salt soaks to help prevent infection and a daily baby aspirin to help ease pain. (I have also seen recommendations to to give 1/2 baby aspirin twice daily) A very important detail is my hen was Very docile and easy to work with, and seemed to appreciate the extra attention rather than being stressed by it.

Infection is unlikely as long as you keep her bedding reasonably clean and dry. If it appears she will lose toes or the foot, do the best you can to keep the remaining live tissue clean and medicated for the first few days after necrotic parts fall off. If she is currently "holding her head down a lot", her frostbite is likely currently painful, but you will need to decide whether she becomes overly stressed by your efforts to help. If so, it's probably best to allow her to cope with pain until it eventually passes.

You mentioned her foot is showing blisters today. Are the blisters red or clear?

Frostbite treatment for feet and toes varies greatly, including no treatment at all as @oldhenlikesdogs mentioned. When my hen suffered severe frostbite to her feet, i was advised on her thread to do all the treatments you mentioned, including Epsom salt soaks to help prevent infection and a daily baby aspirin to help ease pain. (I have also seen recommendations to to give 1/2 baby aspirin twice daily) A very important detail is my hen was Very docile and easy to work with, and seemed to appreciate the extra attention rather than being stressed by it.

Infection is unlikely as long as you keep her bedding reasonably clean and dry. If it appears she will lose toes or the foot, do the best you can to keep the remaining live tissue clean and medicated for the first few days after necrotic parts fall off. If she is currently "holding her head down a lot", her frostbite is likely currently painful, but you will need to decide whether she becomes overly stressed by your efforts to help. If so, it's probably best to allow her to cope with pain until it eventually passes.

You mentioned her foot is showing blisters today. Are the blisters red or clear?
The pictures from my first post about her frostbite show a blister it might be hard to see.

Today's pictures. (11th Jan 2023)
20230111_091111.jpg
20230111_091100.jpg

Doodle was in the breezeway in these photos.

I've been making sure I add fresh bedding to the coop almost every day. And I've been trying to keep water spillage outside of the coop low so she's not causing things to get worse if she steps in it. I will try getting more pictures of her blister here in a bit.

20230111_141859.jpg

Doodles was enjoying a dust bath in the coop when I went to try getting better photos of her blister a few minutes ago. She was probably going to stay in there for a while so I just closed the people door and went back inside.

Attachments

• 20230111_141900.jpg
    20230111_141900.jpg
    747.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230111_141913_HDR.jpg
    20230111_141913_HDR.jpg
    648.1 KB · Views: 9
It is a good sign she is dust bathing, since that means her toe is not too painful to use while kicking up dust. I noticed the swelling but couldn't tell if it was a blister or swollen waxy skin. If a clear-fluid-filled blister, then she should heal with no permanent damage. If the area is swollen and "waxy", then the frostbite is severe and she will likely lose that toe. (Red, blood-filled blisters soon turn waxy in appearance, but many don't notice the red blisters since they arise approximately 48 hours after initial frostbite). Either way, even if she loses the toe she will be ok, and after the injury heals you shouldn't notice any difference in her gait.

It is a good sign she is dust bathing, since that means her toe is not too painful to use while kicking up dust. I noticed the swelling but couldn't tell if it was a blister or swollen waxy skin. If a clear-fluid-filled blister, then she should heal with no permanent damage. If the area is swollen and "waxy", then the frostbite is severe and she will likely lose that toe. (Red, blood-filled blisters soon turn waxy in appearance, but many don't notice the red blisters since they arise approximately 48 hours after initial frostbite). Either way, even if she loses the toe she will be ok, and after the injury heals you shouldn't notice any difference in her gait.
I haven't been very sure on weather or not it's a blister or waxy skin, it's a bit hard to tell.

Back
Top Bottom