Guinea Fowl Keet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Farming a Legacy, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Farming a Legacy

Farming a Legacy New Egg

Jun 3, 2011
    I know this is a chicken forum, but I was wondering if anyone knew what I could do to help a 4 day old guinea fowl keet which has been pecked in the eye? His eyelid is partially missing and his eye is watering. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  2. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Hello, sorry you didn't get an answer yesterday. i would clean with a little warm water or saline. You can then use neosporin ointment without the pain reliever in it. Birds can't handle the local anesthetic in the pain reliever version. If they are ganging up on her you may have to isolate her with maybe one or 2 others for company for a couple days so she heals. If it was just a random peck, you could possibly leave her in with the group. Just make sure the others don't go after that eye. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Farming a Legacy

Farming a Legacy New Egg

Jun 3, 2011
    Thank you so much. I will buy some saline to rinse it and try to find neosporine without the pain reliever in it. He is in with 11 other guineas his age. I was lucky enough to have all 12 eggs hatch, I just hope this little guy is okay. I've been watching them closely and no-one has been going after him or picking on him whatsoever, which is amazing, so it had to be a random peck. Thanks for responding. I don't know how he will be able to keep his eye since his eyelid is partially missing but I hope he makes it. The saline and neosporine should help. Thanks again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by