1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guinea fowl - splayed legs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wings27, Oct 15, 2015.

1. wings27

wings27 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2015
    Does anyone know how to correct splay leg in a guinea that is two months old? Got her today in a flock of 7, I was supposed to get six but breeder threw her in because he didn't have any use for her. The picture shows her on my bed after I gave her a warm bath and wrapped her in a towel; her front was caked with mud and feces from not being able to get off the ground.
    [​IMG]
    Both sides are like this. She can move around but she cannot hop or take off flying like her siblings. She is so gentle and kind, I would hate to put her down if there is any chance at all of correcting this issue or just catering to her disability to give her a good life.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  2. wings27

wings27 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2015
    Bump. Anyone? :(

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can't correct splayed legs in a guinea that age. She could have a leg bone deformity or a vitamin deficiency instead. I would try some poultry vitamins in her water every day, and try placing her in a chicken sling to get her up off the ground. Here are some examples:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by