1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guinea fowl versus wild turkeys

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by cgbalch, Feb 27, 2017.

1. cgbalch

cgbalch Just Hatched

Feb 5, 2017
    Ontario, Canada
    Hello guinea fowl people!

I'm thinking about getting some guinea keets to raise this spring. I live in Ontario and have 42 acres with a lot of deer and subsequently a lot of ticks. We also have a lot of wild turkeys that wander through our property frequently. I'm wondering if my free-ranging guinea fowl would have any sort of conflicts with the wild turkeys? Or would they just stay away from each other? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

2. Colonel-Sanders

Colonel-Sanders Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2017
    Ohio
    Hello! You happen to have brought to light an interesting, but also uncommon question which is why I can't seem to find any hard evidence or facts about altercations between the two. Which I would assume to be a good thing and I would infer that free-range guinea would have no problem with wild turkeys.

In my not professional opinion I would say that I highly doubt any serious altercation between free-ranging guinea and wild turkeys.

Hope this helps![​IMG]

3. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    For the last few years we have had wild turkeys coming thru here in the spring. Some of them will hang around for the free food for a few days. Last summer a young tom turkey stayed about 2 months. We finally had to trap and relocate him. There was never any conflicts between the wild turkeys and my guineas. They pretty much ignored each other. [​IMG]

4. KarateHorse

KarateHorse Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    We have a friend who had a wild turkey wonder into his yard and was hanging out with his guineas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by