guinea fowl

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Ambiguity, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Ambiguity

Ambiguity Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Michigan
    anybody have any favorite recipes for these birds. I am getting a little over run with them. Thanks so much!

2. BirdMom

BirdMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Guinea fowl is delicious! I baked one for Christmas dinner. We hadn't planned on eating any of our first generation guinea fowls, but this one became homicidal and was trying to kill one of the others. The remaining five have been very well behaved since this one was removed!

Apparently guinea fowl doesn't have much fat in it, so it can be really dry if not cooked right. A favorite method is to cover it with uncooked strips of bacon before roasting, and that's what we did. Two treats in one!

Roast Guinea Fowl

Preheat oven to 400. In a roasting pan slightly larger than the bird you're roasting, put the bird in. You can salt and pepper it if you like, but with all the salt in the bacon, I didn't, and it was perfect. Next, lay a few slices of raw bacon on the bird, wrapping one spiral fashion around each leg, and several over the breast area. You can tie it with kitchen string or skewer it on with toothpicks, but I just wrapped it so it pretty much stayed. You may want to put 1/2 cup water in the pan to avoid some of the popping you get with fat hitting a hot surface.

Roast in the oven for about an hour, till bacon is crispy and bird tests done, clear juices running from thigh when poked with sharp knife.

Remove from oven. Remove bacon and serve separately. Cover the bird loosely with foil and let rest for a few minutes. Carve and serve.

Our kitchen got a bit smoky from the bacon grease popping on the oven element, but boy this tasted good! The most fantastic Christmas dinner we've ever had, roast guinea and roast duck, both home raised.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by