1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guinea Fowl

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lyndatu, Dec 8, 2007.

1. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    We saw some guinea fowl chicks or "keets", which look interesting. I did some research and they say that they lay one egg a day, can grow broody, likes to look at their reflection, and are very good pest controllers. Are they chicken? Or more of turkey?

I'm planning to go for some............. although I am only limited to 6 chicks and we now have 5.........what do you say?

Thanks in advance!

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

They are game birds.......quite different than chickens or turkeys....mine spent alot of time by the mirror in the coop [​IMG] I had hens,to young to lay,but I have heard they do not go broody very often . They are great pest control for sure.....and so much fun to watch....... go for it......they can be alot of fun

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    butttwheeeeetttt buttttttwwhhheeeeeeettttt

That's what they sound like. I'm told they are a lot of fun and
    fly really well. They do tend to be rough on chickens.

4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

PURPLE ? WHO KNEW you could do that sound so well.... [​IMG]
    Mine were rehomed after coming of age and beating up on my chickens.........

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've had guineas for years and they can be very loud and obnoxious but they are very good bug control in the yard and garden. Mine only lay eggs in the summer basically and usually manage to hatch out some young ones.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They are nothing like chickens in their thought or behavior and in fact, can on occasion, be extremely aggressive toward them, especially during their "teen months". I know. I had four. Now, they live elsewhere because I had to choose between my beloved guineas and my beloved chickens. Since chickens lay year round, in general, I chose my chickens over the Fearsome Foursome. I still miss the loudmouth goonie-birds, though.

7. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Just think Cyn...........it would have been "speckledguinea" instead of speckledhen (LOL)...I've never had any myself.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Jeff, that's part of the reason my name is speckledhen-The guineas and the Speckled Sussex I originally wanted. Now I have one SS and no guineas. I do love guineas. Mine were extremely tame and entertaining. Even my DH loved them!

9. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    I love my guineas. I actually had one of my hens raise the keets so they are pretty good with the chickens. The only time that they get a little aggressive is when we through the corn out and even than it is not that bad. I had 3 of my hens go broody this year but the first set did not make it the second are doing pretty good and the third set I had to put in the incubator but I did not get any keets. Ours also are free range so I rarely see any eggs around.

10. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Thanks for the info and to the Guinea fowl website!

We'll see if we can get some guineas. Maybe 2.......

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by