Guinea fowl?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Mt. Baker Quail, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Mt. Baker Quail

Mt. Baker Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Ferndale, Washington
    I have an opportunity to get 8 three-week-old guinea fowl for almost free. Having never raised guineas, what do I need to know? Housing is my main concern I do have a duck house with extra room -- can I house ducks and guineas together? I also have a good-sized rabbit hutch -- would that work? I've heard they can be noisy -- will that be an issue? What are the benefits of guineas? The downside? Will appreciate any and all information.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I think it's a matter of personality. I had mine housed with my ducks until they started killing them. (The guineas are gone now.) The hutch would possibly work for awhile. Mine were VERY noisy especially the hens.

Pros: Their flying antics, Bug control, Eggs, Personalities

Cons: Messy, Noisy, VERY Flighty, Aggression (This is usually more of a problem in smaller flocks because theirs not enough birds around to evenly spread the aggression.), Not very Good mothers (This is debatable. )

3. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Will just one kill chickens??? because im planning on getting ONE....Its really little now if its raised with my chicken will it still be aggressive

4. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Guineas do not always kill chickens, sometimes it's the other way around, depending on the breed of chicken. Sometimes there are no issues at all. It all depends on the particular coop/run/property situation .

Just one Guinea may not be happy with a flock of chickens (or any other type of poultry species)... which can result in excessive aggression or excessive noise, from calling for it's flock-mates (Guineas are very flock oriented and do much better in larger numbers).

5. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Mt. Baker Quail :

I have an opportunity to get 8 three-week-old guinea fowl for almost free. Having never raised guineas, what do I need to know? Housing is my main concern I do have a duck house with extra room -- can I house ducks and guineas together? I also have a good-sized rabbit hutch -- would that work? I've heard they can be noisy -- will that be an issue? What are the benefits of guineas? The downside? Will appreciate any and all information.

I think you'd need to provide perching for the guineas. They like to roost high up. Like six feet up. They need room to run around and chase each other. Especially while you get them bonded with your home. You have to keep them in for several weeks so they remember where home is. Also at least between six to ten so they can form their own flock. The pick on each other that way.

Its been a while since I had guineas. I now have my next flock started, with eleven that are eight weeks old and have another thirty that are coming on to four weeks. There are several reasons I wanted guineas. and the best way is to list them.:

1. predator alarms
    2. people alarms
    3. bug control
    4. rodent control
    5. entertaining
    6. eggs
    7. possible income

I think number one and two are my most important. My place is about half way between the Mexican border and the nearest paved road. I don't see people often but I do want to know if someone familiar or unfamiliar is out there.

down side (Not a problem with me though)

1. noise

I personally like the noise....​

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I think your duck house would work fine if you put some roosts in there, the ducks aren't using the 'head room' anyway.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    perchie.girl :

Mt. Baker Quail :

I think you'd need to provide perching for the guineas. They like to roost high up. Like six feet up. They need room to run around and chase each other. Especially while you get them bonded with your home. You have to keep them in for several weeks so they remember where home is. Also at least between six to ten so they can form their own flock. The pick on each other that way.

Its been a while since I had guineas. I now have my next flock started, with eleven that are eight weeks old and have another thirty that are coming on to four weeks. There are several reasons I wanted guineas. and the best way is to list them.:

1. predator alarms
    2. people alarms
    3. bug control
    4. rodent control
    5. entertaining
    6. eggs
    7. possible income

I think number one and two are my most important. My place is about half way between the Mexican border and the nearest paved road. I don't see people often but I do want to know if someone familiar or unfamiliar is out there.

down side (Not a problem with me though)

1. noise

I personally like the noise....​

You forgot about snake wrangling, I almost never see snakes on my place [​IMG]

8. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:Yep I missed one. though when the rodents are ""managed"" the snakes go other places for food.... We get some pretty big rattlers up here too.

9. Mt. Baker Quail

Mt. Baker Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Ferndale, Washington
    I decided to put the ducks in a dog house and put the guinea fowl in the duck house. So I now own 10 keets. [​IMG]

10. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Welcome to the fabulous, fun world of owning Guineas. [​IMG]
    I have been enjoying mine so much that I have more eggs on the way! Oh and the fact that everyone that sees my keets wants them and I refuse to sell my lavs and the one buff Dundotte. I sold my Pearl grays without a hitch and can foresee so many folks wanting more lavs so that is what I plan to work on for next spring.

I really like them, noise and all.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by