Guinea gave me a scare today!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by X2Farm, Aug 10, 2010.

1. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    So I was peeking out the curtain waitin to see my son getting off the bus from school. I look down into the brooder, where the 3week old keets and chicks are. One of the guineas was just laying half sprawled, in a shavings bowl [​IMG] I almost come unglued, OMG ONE OF MY BEBIES IS SICK! Oh No Oh No!!!! [​IMG] He/she? Just layed there for about 5 seconds, then seemed to flurry in one spot, then sat still again, then moved around a bit, then rolled its head over backwards in the shavings. I just knew it had knocked its noggin and was dying [​IMG] Then it got REALLY still.... one of the chicks ran right over the top of it [​IMG] and UP popped the guineas head, and up it went and sauntered off to eat [​IMG] [​IMG]

He/she was takin a dust bath [​IMG] and here I was thinkin it was dyin [​IMG] [​IMG]

It WAS cute, after the fact, at least Hubs got a good chuckle outta it [​IMG]

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I've seen some of our chicks almost bury themselves in the shavings doing the same thing. [​IMG]

3. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Yup, she/he? pretty much did that, aside from the fact that it scared me.. it was pretty funny once I watched her [​IMG]

Thats the first time any of my chicks/keets have dust bathed, that I've seen. At least now I know what to expect [​IMG]

4. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    That happened to me the other day with one of my little quail chicks. [​IMG] I spazzed out and yelled "OMG ARE YOU HAVING A SEIZURE!?!" And it just looked at me and got up and shook itself off.....[​IMG] Although...I do have one little quail that enjoys dust bathing on a piece of cardboard. [​IMG] I guess it thinks its dirt...cause it sits there and dries to dustbath with no dust, shaving or anything. Just a piece of cardboard [​IMG] Oh how I love farm-birds

5. ellie_may12

ellie_may12 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2009
    St Tammany
    LOL Dust baths are pretty scary the first time you see a chicken/guinea taking one! The first time I saw the chickens do it, I almost came unglued. Now I'm wishing that I could do something about the holes that they keep leaving all over the yard!

6. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Our guinea love to dust bathe about better than anything. If they see us with the shovel they come running if they are out. They love when you make a pile of dirt and jump right in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by