guinea hen annoying me and my chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marlodaca, Jan 7, 2009.

1. marlodaca

marlodaca New Egg

Oct 6, 2008
    I had 5 guinea hen and they are the noisest birds on the planet. I think that they are driving my chickens crazy. I bought the guinea to eat and have been waiting for them to get large enough. We ate 3 of the 5 a week and a half ago. Since the loss of those 3 tasty guinea my chickens have started laying a lot more eggs and more frequently. Has anyone else experience a guinea, turkey, or duck annoying thier chickens so much that they stopped producing eggs?

2. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I think I feel your pain. I've had mine since they were babies back in July. Now they are grown and I like them soooo much, but I am planning on giving them to the guy who gave them to me. I really hate to get rid of them cause they follow me around like puppies and only my females are real noisy. They all are noisy sometime though. I m giving them back to him cause I can't get myself to eat them. I wish I could, after putting money into feed all these months. I have a few other chickens and they are terrified of the Guineas. I think they won't lay their eggs as long as the Guineas are here either. They get bullied by them really bad. If they want feed or water they have to sneak it when the Guineas aren't looking or while they are outside, or if I'm in the coop they know it's ok cause I won't let them bully em. It sadens me to get rid of them cause they are so funny to watch, but I'm more interested in eggs and I know they don't lay as many eggs as most chickens do, and I really think they will intimidate my other chickens if and when they decide to start laying. So yeas... you are not alone in thinking this way.

3. namreknat

namreknat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    N.W. Oklahoma
    Yes; same problem here. I can't let my chickens out to free range because the guineas attack them so badly. The noise has also begun to get on my nerves here lately. Mine are headed for the freezer!![​IMG]

4. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

I got rid of 18 guineas but I acquired 8 call ducks. [​IMG]

It is SLIGHTLY quieter here.... but I feel a little self-conscious now.
    It's like I'm being laughed at everytime I step outside! [​IMG]

5. namreknat

namreknat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    N.W. Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

6. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I keep chickens and guineas together, most of the time it's not a problem, but the guineas were raised from tiny keets, with a flock of adult chickens. Some of my guineas were hatched and raised by a chicken. But, when I have too many roos, and they chase and harass the hens, egg production definitely drops, until we butcher the roos. Then it goes back up immediately, and there is peace on the farm once more.

That's the only thing other than diet, brooding and chick raising, and molting, I've ever had affect egg production. I've seen all kinds of posts about hens not laying if you move them, confine them, separate them, wear a color they don't like, hurt their feelings, etc., and I've never had any of that affect egg production.

But being chased by roos, yeah, and I can see where being harassed by guineas or something would do the same thing.

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Stress is one of the things that can affect egg production.

8. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Well ...I said good-bye to my 6 Guineas today. They went back to the guy who gave them to me as babies. I know I will miss them some. I also know my other chickens are relived to see them go lol. As soon as they were all caged up the other chickens had the control of their run and coop, and seemed sooo happy. Maybe now I will start to get some eggs from them. I really liked my Guineas, but i do believe it's better to keep them in seperate coops rather than together. Outside freeranging it wasn't so bad, but penned up it was caiotic.sp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by