Guinea hen gone broody

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Leaguinea, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Leaguinea

Leaguinea Songster

Jun 22, 2017
    Ontario, Canada
    My free range Guinea has gone broody outside with no protection. I stretched a piece of mesh around her with a board on top but I am concerned that a fox will get her. Does anyone have any suggestions or some type of protection ideas that I can provide for her?
    Also because of the way I rigged up the mesh she can't get out, will I have to let her out or should I just feed and water her inside this little cage/pen? Will she want to come out and leave the nest? This is myfirst time with a free range broody:fl
    Suggestions please!!

BYCforlife likes this.
  2. Owl's flights

Owl's flights In the Brooder

Jul 16, 2017
    Try putting pee fence on the bottom so it something try's to dig under so it will only run into fence and won't get her

BYCforlife likes this.
  3. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Free Ranging

Mar 18, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    I would suggest you build a little cage for her. No bottom, make sure there are boards touching the ground all around. When digging, a fox will most likely half dig, half bend the wire up. You may be able to keep foxes out with just wood along the bottom.
    Sorry, I don't have much experience with free range broodies.

4. Owl's flights

Jul 16, 2017
    We put fence on the bottom and peopel thought we where crazy but a fox got chickens about 50 4 blocks away and we might have a fox digging but no luck

BYCforlife likes this.
  5. Owl's flights

Jul 16, 2017
    How to I make in if these were anyone can talk

6. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Hunh?

7. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Free Ranging

Mar 18, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    I believe you said, how do I make any of these?

8. Owl's flights

Jul 16, 2017
    Nvm got it

BYCforlife likes this.
  9. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Free Ranging

Mar 18, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    :thumbsup

10. GlennLee

GlennLee Songster

May 13, 2016
    Central New York
    I'm not sure of your area or how predator safe it would be, but what about a covered dog run? They make smaller ones and I've seen them fairly reasonable at Tractor Supply. Fortunately, my hen went broody in the barn this year. You could also try moving her, but she may abandon the nest. A friend of mine cuts an opening in a plastic tub. When the hen is off the nest, you put the nest and eggs in the plastic tub. Fingers crossed she returns to the nest, then you go in at night, put a towel over the opening and move the tub to a safe area in the barn or coop. She has had good luck with this. It's always nerve wracking when they nest outside. Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: