Guinea hen in love with peacock

old biddy

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 30, 2010
Lamont, Florida
Okay. Here is one for the books. I have one male and two female guinea fowl. The male and the larger female seem to hang out together while the smaller female tags along. Occasionally they pick on her - so it is obvious that she is feeling left out.

Yesterday, the smaller female was following my 5 year old peacock around. I watched her run in front of him and lay down in the mating position. Rainbow, my peacock, pecked at her neck and walked away. So she got up, ran around in front of him and lay down again. Once again he pecked at her neck and walked away. So she did it again. I counted five of these little episodes.

I was amazed at this behavior. I thought guineas and peafowl, though both in the pheasant family, would not breed - and perhaps they won't - but I don't think my guinea hen knows it. Is she just lonely???

Okay. Here is one for the books. I have one male and two female guinea fowl. The male and the larger female seem to hang out together while the smaller female tags along. Occasionally they pick on her - so it is obvious that she is feeling left out.

Yesterday, the smaller female was following my 5 year old peacock around. I watched her run in front of him and lay down in the mating position. Rainbow, my peacock, pecked at her neck and walked away. So she got up, ran around in front of him and lay down again. Once again he pecked at her neck and walked away. So she did it again. I counted five of these little episodes.

I was amazed at this behavior. I thought guineas and peafowl, though both in the pheasant family, would not breed - and perhaps they won't - but I don't think my guinea hen knows it. Is she just lonely???
There are claims of guinea/peafowl hybrids.

Thats funny! I used to have a Broad Breasted Bronze turkey who was in love with a Blue Marans Rooster. They would all freerange together. I had 2 turkey hens and no tom. One of the turkey hens would follow the Blue rooster around and make noises and want him to mate her. He would run away and she would not give up, chasing after him wherever he went lol.
If he was in his pen, she would hang outside the fence calling to him. It was sad. I looked high n low for a Blue Slate Tom Turkey for her, at the time, thinking she might like him lol.

Back
Top Bottom