Guinea Hen Laying

Unicornlife3316

Songster
Apr 21, 2018
Bryan, TX
I have a few questions:

I have a guinea who has built a nest in a pile of fence posts... I believe this is her first nest.

Can I move her and the eggs to a safe return place?

How can I keep her safe while she’s laying/sitting on the nest?

Any and ALL advice is appreciated in this situation! I don’t know what to do to make her safe. We have bobcats and all sorts of things that go bump in the night that will kill her while she sits on this nest when it’s time to go broody.

* I should also add, I live in central Texas (Bryan College Station) — it’s currently 86 degrees with 33% humidity

I’d LOVE to get keets out of this, but don’t know the best way. Buy an incubator? Build one?

Last edited:
I have a few questions:

I have a guinea who has built a nest in a pile of fence posts... I believe this is her first nest.

Can I move her and the eggs to a safe return place?

How can I keep her safe while she’s laying/sitting on the nest?

Any and ALL advice is appreciated in this situation! I don’t know what to do to make her safe. We have bobcats and all sorts of things that go bump in the night that will kill her while she sits on this nest when it’s time to go broody.
You can try to move her and the nest but it is not very likely to be a successful move. I recommend that you gather the eggs and use them as you see fit. Destroy the nest. Keep the hen in a coop until after she has laid her daily egg in an effort to get her to start a nest in the coop.

Too many bad things go bump in the night so I keep all my guineas shut in their coop throughout the night. I do not allow my hens to sit on a nest outside of the coop during the night. I gather their eggs daily and save them for my incubator.

Good luck.

You can try to move her and the nest but it is not very likely to be a successful move. I recommend that you gather the eggs and use them as you see fit. Destroy the nest. Keep the hen in a coop until after she has laid her daily egg in an effort to get her to start a nest in the coop.

Too many bad things go bump in the night so I keep all my guineas shut in their coop throughout the night. I do not allow my hens to sit on a nest outside of the coop during the night. I gather their eggs daily and save them for my incubator.

Good luck.

Yes, they are ALL locked up at night. No matter what, so I’d like to keep her as safe as possible.. if I move her egg/eggs tonight to her coop, make her a nice nest in there and then leave her in until she’s done laying for the day, that could work right?

Yes, they are ALL locked up at night. No matter what, so I’d like to keep her as safe as possible.. if I move her egg/eggs tonight to her coop, make her a nice nest in there and then leave her in until she’s done laying for the day, that could work right?
You can try but it probably won't work. Guinea hens really don't like their nest being messed with. What is more likely to happen is that she will abandon those eggs and eventually start another nest which will be in the coop if you keep her shut in until after she has laid each day.

You can try but it probably won't work. Guinea hens really don't like their nest being messed with. What is more likely to happen is that she will abandon those eggs and eventually start another nest which will be in the coop if you keep her shut in until after she has laid each day.

Ok then that’s what I will do. She will HATE being in that coop by herself. What do I do with her mate that won’t leave her side?? He will want to stay right with her..

Ok one more question :::

When I have her locked up tomorrow, after she lays her egg, can I add one of these eggs to the new egg, or will that make her abandon the new egg too?

Attachments

• A4CA34D0-E41C-4709-8C5E-052C40B3869A.jpeg
    A4CA34D0-E41C-4709-8C5E-052C40B3869A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom