1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guinea hen making a nest - hopeful?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    My Pied Female was in the coop this evening making a nest in the dirt under the nesting box - is this a hopeful sign or normal behavior.

She wasn't Dust Bathing. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    WOW that is early, ours normally nest in May...Wow! You might have guineas....Is she a first timeer???
    Great luck! Nancy

3. pattypenny

pattypenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2007
    I don't know usually it is april before they lay but you are in texas so maybe.

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I have some young guineas laying an egg here and there, but my older guineas are not laying anything thank god, i need a break from nest hunting.
    My hens don't start to sit till they got a mountian of eggs under them so i hatch all mine in a sportsman.

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    bargain Yes she's a 1st Timer. [​IMG]

6. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    Well you live in Texas, and she's a first timer . . . so it's very possible she could have been. Keep watching her. Lucky you. I have a first timer as well and she hasnt even went behind the board that I put in the coop.
    She likes my chickens too much so I dout she will lay outside somewhere. I put a board in the back of my coop, to make an A-Frame.
    But yet keep a close eye on your's. It's very possible.

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    So far I haven't found any eggs.

8. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    sounds like given time you will find lots of eggs....I love them. To me they have the best taste of any eggs. Once you get past that hard shell.

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I've never eaten Guinea eggs..I got 12 from a friend once but I gave'em to a broody hen!

10. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I will have to get some now, just for the taste of the eggs....WHY DID I JOIN THIS BYC!!!! NOW I WANT EVERYTHING I READ ABOUT..and every kind. I was perfectly content with my 26 hens last year....now 80+ chickens and 4 new ducks..and now I want guineas...ughhhh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by