Guinea Hen Problem Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by cluck n stuff, Feb 20, 2014.

1. cluck n stuff

cluck n stuff Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2013
    Iola,Wi
    My Coop
    I started out with 4 guineas 2 females and 2 males as keets. Ive had them about 9 months and during the cold temp in Wi 1 male died of salmonella. at least I think it did it got skinny and was walking in circles. And about a week after he died my other male was walking in circles a little bit but wasn't too skinny. So I watched it for about a week and it stoped doing circles. But on both legs it is swollen, no scales, and bled but healed. Kinda like the calves would be..if the had them. I do not want to loose another male id like to have some fertiles this spring it is now Feb 20th with about 3 1/2 feet of snow and is pouring rain..anyways if anyone could help me out with this I beg for the answer:( Ounce again his "calves" are swollen which made the scales fall off and I think its getting a lil worse. he can eat and drink so yea..Help!!![​IMG]

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    They are freezing their legs... They need to be shut inside in bad weather. They are nit smart enough to go in

3. cluck n stuff

Jun 10, 2013
    Iola,Wi
    My Coop
    They have been locked up all winter with a heater and a heat lamp so I don't think its that

4. wren

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Okay. Is it this?[​IMG]
    Scaly leg mites

5. cluck n stuff

Jun 10, 2013
    Iola,Wi
    My Coop
    no....it is swolen skin color and it is smooth with small transparent scales forming.. A friend came over yesterday and took a look at it and he says it may be an infection...what should i do with that....I did take him out of the chicken coop and put him all alone in the cape cod small coop tht we have next to it. I took scarlet oil a wound dressing at fleet and put vet wrap on it soo idk
    Quote: [​IMG]

6. wren

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    I've got to have a clear photo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by