1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Guinea hen setting on nest should i let her?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by 9farmgirl9, Jun 7, 2011.

1. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Songster

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    I have a guinea hen on a nest, she is setting on rotten eggs though (eggs that are old just there so theyll lay). Should i let her hatch babies? she is in a pretty preditor safe place and its right by the house. I had another guinea hen on a different nest but i had to break her she was over a mile away and by a skunk nest, didnt want to loose her.

2. aria122

aria122 In the Brooder

Feb 2, 2011
    Davis, CA
    I say yes! I think if the instinct is there go with it.

HOWEVER: be prepared to take care of the chicks either with mom or by yourself after they hatch. Guineas are not known to be good mothers.

3. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Songster

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    It would be fine if i had keets to take care of i have an incubator full of guinea eggs, just had some hatch. My other hen that i talk about a mile away b4 she sat on that nest she sat on one close to the house but something scared her and she abandand the eggs, they wereabout a week from hatching so i took them and put them in te incubator, they are now 5 days old, there were 11 eggs, one stopped forming b4 i got it and 2 were backwards in the shell the other 7 hatched and are healthy

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I would. [​IMG]

I wish one of my guin-hens would go broody..in the coop! [​IMG]

~ Aspen

5. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Songster

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    i mightjust let her, i always wished that mine wood then when it happened i jus didnt no what to do.

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:I would 'def let her hatch some keets! [​IMG]

"The more the merrier!" [​IMG]

~ Aspen

7. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Songster

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    How many good and bad eggs should i put under her?

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Um, I would put at least 6 good eggs under her, maybe even 12+ I don't know how many eggs you have laying around so it's up to you. But 6 at least. [​IMG]

~ Aspen

9. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Songster

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    I have rght now about a dozen good eggs not cunting 2days eggs which is around 5-6 eggs a day. and 40+ bad eggs

10. BritinMO

BritinMO Songster

Apr 18, 2011
    I'd say YES, the wait is well worth the joy of seeing a little face peeking out from under the mother:lol: This was my bundle of joy yesterday! Currently now have 2 babies, and patiently (yeah right!) waiting for some more to hatch!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by