Guinea Hen still broody after 30 days.....

Carchick

Songster
13 Years
May 23, 2007
I know this is for chickens but perhaps some of you might have experience with guineas as well. My guinea hen went broody a little more than a month ago and the eggs have not hatched. I also wonder when a hen goes broody, doesn't it take some time for her to lay a bunch of eggs so perhaps it wouldn't matter if she's been sitting for longer than a month? I am not equipped to incubate eggs and wanted to do it naturally. She has sat on those eggs continuously and protects them with a vengeance. Thankfully she is in the coop where she is safe. I read that guinea eggs are supposed to hatch around 26-28 days. I'm not sure what to do. I'm afraid to take an egg and candle it for fear she might get upset and leave the nest, if the eggs are viable, but I'm also not sure how healthy it is for her to always be sitting on the eggs.

She'll be fine for a few more days sitting. If the eggs don't hatch in next week and she's still broody you'll want to break her. Putting birds in a cage without nesting material for a few days usually does the trick.

Back
Top Bottom