1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

GUINEA HENS MATING

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by chickenweirdo1, Mar 23, 2016.

1. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    WILL MY GUINEA COCK MATE WITH MY REGULAR CHICKENS?[​IMG]

2. redguinea

redguinea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2015
    Land down under
    I have never had it happen. A rooster will however mate with guinea hens, producing a hybrid of the two. Im sure it could happen but I barely see my guinea cocks mating with guinea hens.

3. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Thank you I'm pretty new to having chicken! I've read a lot but they don't tell you stuff like that.

4. NBKOC64

NBKOC64 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    Midlothian, TX
    I agree with redguinea. As long as your guineas have mates of their own kind, they are unlikely to try mating with your chickens. We've been raising guineas and chickens together for years and haven't had a hybrid hatch yet.

5. HoneyDreameMom

HoneyDreameMom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Your guinea cock may try to mate your hens if they were raised together and/or there aren't enough female guineas. I'm in the process of selling one of my guinea pairs, because although the male has a female guinea mate, he frequently tries to mount my chickens. The chickens; however, want nothing to do with him, so it usually ends in yanked out feathers and lots of squawking. The dominant male guinea keeps him away from the rest of the guinea flock, so perhaps the problem could be resolved if the cock in question had a few more guinea girls,

In short, it isn't likely to be a problem, but you want to observe your flock regularly for any problematic behavior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by